how can I trigger a manual merge?

Steve Webb
So, I'm still working on an "insert and never delete" use of riak.  I'm
expiring data after a certain amount of time, but from what I've
heard/read, it's not possible to trigger a merge at all with my usage
pattern.

So, is there a way for me to write something in erlang or something that I
can throw into cron to do periodic merges and clean things up?

- Steve

--
Steve Webb - Senior System Administrator for gnip.com
http://twitter.com/GnipWebb

Re: how can I trigger a manual merge?

Jonathan Langevin
Perhaps this helps?
https://help.basho.com/entries/20141178-why-does-it-seem-that-bitcask-merging-is-only-triggered-when-a-riak-node-is-restarted

Additionally, maybe tweaking the threshold parameters for a merge is needed. Following link discusses threshold configuration, merge process, etc. There are further tuning tips further down this page:

Jonathan Langevin
Systems Administrator

Loom Inc.
Wilmington, NC: (910) 241-0433 - [hidden email] - www.loomlearning.com - Skype: intel352

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Steve Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, I'm still working on an "insert and never delete" use of riak.  I'm expiring data after a certain amount of time, but from what I've heard/read, it's not possible to trigger a merge at all with my usage pattern.

So, is there a way for me to write something in erlang or something that I can throw into cron to do periodic merges and clean things up?

- Steve

--
Steve Webb - Senior System Administrator for gnip.com
http://twitter.com/GnipWebb

Re: how can I trigger a manual merge?

A direct call to bitcask:merge could force all of the files to be
processed, including the removal of expired entries. That won't happen
under normal Riak operation as none of the triggers will be passed by
your use, but you could certainly write a script to do it directly.

-Justin