compiling error

darkchanter
Hello
I am trying to compile the Riak 1.4.9 sources on openSuSE 13.1 against Erlang R16. I know this version of the Erlang VM is not officially supported, but I still changed the regex expression in rebar.config, since I read it's not a problem.

Now it seems that a crypto class in an Erlang source file is deprecated:

/home/roger/riak/riak-1.4.9/deps/riak_core/src/chash.erl:105: crypto:sha/1 is deprecated and will be removed in in a future release; use crypto:hash/2
ERROR: compile failed while processing /home/roger/riak/riak-1.4.9/deps/riak_core: rebar_abort
make: *** [compile] Error 1

Is there any chance to get around this?

Roger

Re: compiling error

Evan Vigil-McClanahan
No.  A fair amount of work went into R16 compatibility, and it was
never ported to the 1.4 branch.  A set of patches exists, but I have
no idea if it would apply cleanly.  Best to just use a packaged
version of the application, which will come with its own version of
erlang.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM, darkchanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
> I am trying to compile the Riak 1.4.9 sources on openSuSE 13.1 against
> Erlang R16. I know this version of the Erlang VM is not officially
> supported, but I still changed the regex expression in rebar.config, since I
> read it's not a problem.
>
> Now it seems that a crypto class in an Erlang source file is deprecated:
>
> /home/roger/riak/riak-1.4.9/deps/riak_core/src/chash.erl:105: crypto:sha/1
> is deprecated and will be removed in in a future release; use crypto:hash/2
> ERROR: compile failed while processing
> /home/roger/riak/riak-1.4.9/deps/riak_core: rebar_abort
> make: *** [compile] Error 1
>
> Is there any chance to get around this?
>
> Roger

Re: compiling error

darkchanter
Thank You

Unfortunately "openSuSE" is not available on http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/downloads/ and there seems to be no "Riak" repo in zypper as mentioned in http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/building/installing/suse/

Since I am very new to Riak and I'd like to try out some basic features, any release would be fine to me. I read that the benefit of compiling the sources are the "devnodes" that can be easily used and connected to a node ring.

Re: compiling error

Evan Vigil-McClanahan
If you're limited to R16, you can check out one of the 2.0.0 beta
releases.  Please also note that due to VM bugs, we don't recommend
using any R16 release lower than R16B02.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM, darkchanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank You
>
> Unfortunately "openSuSE" is not available on
> http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/downloads/ and there seems to be no "Riak"
> repo in zypper as mentioned in
> http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/building/installing/suse/
>
> Since I am very new to Riak and I'd like to try out some basic features, any
> release would be fine to me. I read that the benefit of compiling the
> sources are the "devnodes" that can be easily used and connected to a node
> ring.

Re: compiling error

darkchanter
ok, I got a 'certified' Erlang OTP and successfully compiled 1.4.9 then joined the nodes from the dev sample to a cluster :-)

Looking forward to play with some buckets^^

Thanks
Roger