cannot connect to DB

Ildar Alishev
Hello. Have started RIAK in UBUNTU64 14.04, trying to connect from another computer inside local network, but cannot connect. Maybe i should set up ipadress somewhere?

Re: cannot connect to DB

Alexander Sicular
Hi Ildar,

Please take a look at the docs, http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/building/basic-cluster-setup/ , you need to set up your IP address most likely.

-Alexander

@siculars
http://siculars.posthaven.com

Sent from my iRotaryPhone

> On Jan 12, 2015, at 06:56, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello. Have started RIAK in UBUNTU64 14.04, trying to connect from another computer inside local network, but cannot connect. Maybe i should set up ipadress somewhere?

Re: cannot connect to DB

Ildar Alishev
Also maybe someone can help me, i have installed riak using apt-get install riak, i don’t understand where did it installed? How i can create node there?

Thank you!

> 12 янв. 2015 г., в 16:37, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>
> Hi Ildar,
>
> Please take a look at the docs, http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/building/basic-cluster-setup/ , you need to set up your IP address most likely.
>
> -Alexander
>

> @siculars
> http://siculars.posthaven.com
>
> Sent from my iRotaryPhone
>
>> On Jan 12, 2015, at 06:56, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello. Have started RIAK in UBUNTU64 14.04, trying to connect from another computer inside local network, but cannot connect. Maybe i should set up ipadress somewhere?

Re: cannot connect to DB

Ciprian Manea
Hi Ildar,

Please have a look at the configuration files: /etc/riak/app.config and /etc/riak/vm.config

By default Riak binds to localhost, but you can change that using the following snippet:

export riakIP=$(ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr' | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d' ' -f1)

sudo sed -i "s/127.0.0.1/$riakIP/" /etc/riak/app.config /etc/riak/vm.args

Regards,
Ciprian

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also maybe someone can help me, i have installed riak using apt-get install riak, i don’t understand where did it installed? How i can create node there?

Thank you!
> 12 янв. 2015 г., в 16:37, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>
> Hi Ildar,
>
> Please take a look at the docs, http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/building/basic-cluster-setup/ , you need to set up your IP address most likely.
>
> -Alexander
>

> @siculars
> http://siculars.posthaven.com
>
> Sent from my iRotaryPhone
>
>> On Jan 12, 2015, at 06:56, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello. Have started RIAK in UBUNTU64 14.04, trying to connect from another computer inside local network, but cannot connect. Maybe i should set up ipadress somewhere?

Re: cannot connect to DB

Ildar Alishev
i have changed nodename and now it says

root@salo:~# riak stop
Node '[hidden email]' not responding to pings.
Node is not running!
root@salo:~#

12 янв. 2015 г., в 16:53, Ciprian Manea <[hidden email]> написал(а):

Hi Ildar,

Please have a look at the configuration files: /etc/riak/app.config and /etc/riak/vm.config

By default Riak binds to localhost, but you can change that using the following snippet:

export riakIP=$(ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr' | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d' ' -f1)

sudo sed -i "s/127.0.0.1/$riakIP/" /etc/riak/app.config /etc/riak/vm.args

Regards,
Ciprian

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also maybe someone can help me, i have installed riak using apt-get install riak, i don’t understand where did it installed? How i can create node there?

Thank you!
> 12 янв. 2015 г., в 16:37, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>
> Hi Ildar,
>
> Please take a look at the docs, http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/building/basic-cluster-setup/ , you need to set up your IP address most likely.
>
> -Alexander
>

> @siculars
> http://siculars.posthaven.com
>
> Sent from my iRotaryPhone
>
>> On Jan 12, 2015, at 06:56, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello. Have started RIAK in UBUNTU64 14.04, trying to connect from another computer inside local network, but cannot connect. Maybe i should set up ipadress somewhere?

Re: cannot connect to DB

Charlie Voiselle
Since you changed the node name on a running node, you will not be able to stop it.  Two choices here. Reset the nodename in `/etc/riak/vm.args` back to `[hidden email]` long enough to run the `riak stop` command, or just `kill -9 beam.smp` which will forcibly shutdown the riak process.

Once you have the node stopped, you will need to delete the contents of the `/var/lib/riak/ring` folder otherwise the node will not start up.  This only needs to be done once if the node has been renamed.  Once your cluster has been created properly, you will not want to delete the ring file without specific guidance to do so.  Verify that the node name is back to `[hidden email]` in `/etc/riak/vm.args` and that all of the IPs in `/etc/riak/app.config` are set appropriately before restarting Riak

Once you have verified this, you should be able to start Riak and connect to it from other nodes.  As Siculars, pointed out, there is fairly comprehensive documentation of the config files, their locations, and all of the settings at the Riak Documentation website. Make sure you use the version selector to view the documentation for the version that you have installed

Cheers,
Charlie Voiselle
Basho Client Services

On Jan 12, 2015, at 8:58 AM, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:

i have changed nodename and now it says

root@salo:~# riak stop
Node '[hidden email]' not responding to pings.
Node is not running!
root@salo:~#

12 янв. 2015 г., в 16:53, Ciprian Manea <[hidden email]> написал(а):

Hi Ildar,

Please have a look at the configuration files: /etc/riak/app.config and /etc/riak/vm.config

By default Riak binds to localhost, but you can change that using the following snippet:

export riakIP=$(ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr' | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d' ' -f1)

sudo sed -i "s/127.0.0.1/$riakIP/" /etc/riak/app.config /etc/riak/vm.args

Regards,
Ciprian

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also maybe someone can help me, i have installed riak using apt-get install riak, i don’t understand where did it installed? How i can create node there?

Thank you!
> 12 янв. 2015 г., в 16:37, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>
> Hi Ildar,
>
> Please take a look at the docs, http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/building/basic-cluster-setup/ , you need to set up your IP address most likely.
>
> -Alexander
>

> @siculars
> http://siculars.posthaven.com
>
> Sent from my iRotaryPhone
>
>> On Jan 12, 2015, at 06:56, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello. Have started RIAK in UBUNTU64 14.04, trying to connect from another computer inside local network, but cannot connect. Maybe i should set up ipadress somewhere?

Re: cannot connect to DB

Alexander Sicular
The quick install tutorial installs all nodes on one physical machine and uses the localhost ip address, 127.0.0.1. That is why Riak is not accessible from another computer. Localhost is not routable.

Yes, you will need to change the ip address in all the config files (the 5 nodes) from 127.0.0.1 to your routable address.

In my opInion, if you want to simply develop against the api, just use one node and don't set up the cluster. It's just a pain to manage all the ip addresses, especially on a single machine where you need to change default ports.

-Alexander

On Monday, January 12, 2015, Ildar Alishev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, will try.
what if i have created clusters from this tutorial http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/quickstart/

i should change everywhere???

Also maybe it is easier to delete all nodes that i have created before? How can i delete them?

Thank you!