What kind of protocol are used between Riak nodes?

What kind of protocol are used between Riak nodes?

Alek Morfi
Hi there,

What kind of protocol is used betwwen Riak nodes to communicate. Because if all Riak nodes are located in the same cluster (LAN network scale) there is no problem.
But when Riak nodes are located on different clusters which are connected through Internet, there are some limitations. Because some ISPs only allow communicating by HTTP and SMTP protocol and I am wondering how Riak nodes can communicate over the Internet. We know that each Riak node is an Erlang application and Erlang application can communicate with each other by 1) distributed erlang 2) secure socket

1) Do Riak nodes communicate with HTTP protocol ? ( I mean internal communcation between Riak nodes)
2) If NO, then how we can connect Riak nodes in a large scale area such as WAN or Internet scale? (please consider the limitation that some ISP have on port number and communication protocol)

Cheers,
Alek

Re: What kind of protocol are used between Riak nodes?

Alvaro Videla-2
AFAIK Rial uses Erlang's distribution system. If you want to find more info search about "epmd" and Erlang Distribution.

-Alvaro

Sent from my iPhone

On May 28, 2012, at 7:40 PM, Alek Morfi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> What kind of protocol is used betwwen Riak nodes to communicate. Because if all Riak nodes are located in the same cluster (LAN network scale) there is no problem.
> But when Riak nodes are located on different clusters which are connected through Internet, there are some limitations. Because some ISPs only allow communicating by HTTP and SMTP protocol and I am wondering how Riak nodes can communicate over the Internet. We know that each Riak node is an Erlang application and Erlang application can communicate with each other by 1) distributed erlang 2) secure socket
>
> 1) Do Riak nodes communicate with HTTP protocol ? ( I mean internal communcation between Riak nodes)
> 2) If NO, then how we can connect Riak nodes in a large scale area such as WAN or Internet scale? (please consider the limitation that some ISP have on port number and communication protocol)
>
> Cheers,
> Alek

Re: What kind of protocol are used between Riak nodes?

Hi, Alek.

On May 28, 2012, at 1:40 PM, Alek Morfi wrote:

> What kind of protocol is used betwwen Riak nodes to communicate. Because if all Riak nodes are located in the same cluster (LAN network scale) there is no problem.
> But when Riak nodes are located on different clusters which are connected through Internet, there are some limitations. Because some ISPs only allow communicating by HTTP and SMTP protocol and I am wondering how Riak nodes can communicate over the Internet.

Within a single Riak cluster, nodes communicate with each other using the Erlang distribution protocol. There are a number of reasons within Riak's design -- this just being one of them -- why spreading a Riak cluster across a wide area is not recommended.

The Riak Enterprise system (http://basho.com/products/riak-overview/) uses an entirely different protocol for managing long-haul communication, and also uses a different methodology. In that system we do not spread a single cluster widely, but rather create a topology of one cluster per datacenter, with each of those connected to each other.