Tuning options for mochiweb/webmachine?

Ben Myles
I've been playing around with some basic benchmarking, and it seems
whenever I try to access Riak concurrently with more than around 20
threads I start to get errors like the one below. Are there any basic
tuning options I can play with to help with this?

=ERROR REPORT==== 1-Mar-2010::15:31:16 ===
    application: mochiweb
    "Accept failed error"
    "{error,emfile}"

=ERROR REPORT==== 1-Mar-2010::15:31:16 ===
{mochiweb_socket_server,225,{acceptor_error,{error,accept_failed}}}

Re: Tuning options for mochiweb/webmachine?

dreverri
I think this is due to running out of file descriptors. You can manipulate limits using ulimit.

On OS X:
To list the current limits:
ulimit -a

To increase number of open files:
ulimit -S -n 1024

The default is 256.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Ben Myles <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been playing around with some basic benchmarking, and it seems
whenever I try to access Riak concurrently with more than around 20
threads I start to get errors like the one below. Are there any basic
tuning options I can play with to help with this?

=ERROR REPORT==== 1-Mar-2010::15:31:16 ===
   application: mochiweb
   "Accept failed error"
   "{error,emfile}"

=ERROR REPORT==== 1-Mar-2010::15:31:16 ===
{mochiweb_socket_server,225,{acceptor_error,{error,accept_failed}}}

Re: Tuning options for mochiweb/webmachine?

Jack Moffitt
I wrote this in the context of ejabberd, but it applies equally well
to Riak, Webmachine, etc.

http://metajack.im/2008/09/23/file-descriptors-are-yummy-or-common-pitfalls-of-ejabberd/

jack.