Tag 2.0.0rc1 ??

Dave Martorana
Hi!

I've been kind of holding off development for a bit while the Basho team puts the polish on 2.0 - and then I saw a tag - 2.0.0rc1 - in Github from 3 days ago.

Has riak 2.0 quietly moved in to RC mode? And if so, are we well in to feature freeze now?

Is it OK that I'm posting this to the mailing list?

Thanks!

Dave

Re: Tag 2.0.0rc1 ??

Jared Morrow
Dave,

Yes, I tagged RC1 on Friday.  The plan for us is to do some finishing work on docs, some last rounds of tests to be done, and then put it out to the public sometime soon.  I've learned to not give firm dates at this point, but I'd personally be very disappointed if something wasn't in your hands by the end of this week.  There will always be more work to do, but we plan to get it out to the public ASAP.

To bring everyone in the loop, once we hit RC stage, we treat it like a true release candidate, keeping all changes out unless they fix a major bug.  Usually the limits us to dataloss bugs, but recently we allowed for some performance changes to go into RC's as well.  Sometimes it is hard to get an exact test of large-cluster performance when things are still changing before RC.  With that in mind, using RC you can expect no API and command-line changes before final release.  Right now even though Riak server has reached RC, not all of our clients are done quite yet as they have to lag behind Riak proper a bit.

It has taken a long time for us to hit RC, and trust us that no one feels this pain more than us.  We thank all our users for being patient with us through this extremely long 2.0 cycle, we have put a lot of features into 2.0 and that stretched us more thin that we initially hoped.  Even so, we didn't skimp on testing, so that is why RC is hitting now instead of a few months ago.

Thanks again for the support from all of our users.
-Jared

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Dave Martorana <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

I've been kind of holding off development for a bit while the Basho team puts the polish on 2.0 - and then I saw a tag - 2.0.0rc1 - in Github from 3 days ago.

Has riak 2.0 quietly moved in to RC mode? And if so, are we well in to feature freeze now?

Is it OK that I'm posting this to the mailing list?

Thanks!

Dave

Re: Tag 2.0.0rc1 ??

Dave Martorana
Jared,

I'm pretty excited about this. I've been playing with 2.0 for a long time, and am looking forward to finally getting off of our MySQL solution!

I didn't mean to rush you guys or anything. The last thing I should *ever* intentionally point out in anyone else is pushing back a deadline to get in that extra bit of polish. I'm the worst offender (and TBH, I prefer the polish!). I just wasn't sure if I had missed something. Hope I didn't spoil the surprise.

Thanks again for everything!

Dave

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Jared Morrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Daurnimator
On 14 July 2014 16:40, Jared Morrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd personally be very disappointed if something wasn't in your hands by the end of this week.

No word? :(

Re: Tag 2.0.0rc1 ??

Matthew Von-Maszewski

I believe he meant "end of next week".  That seems more inline with the general goal.

On Jul 18, 2014, at 4:42 PM, Daurnimator <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 14 July 2014 16:40, Jared Morrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd personally be very disappointed if something wasn't in your hands by the end of this week.

No word? :(

Re: Tag 2.0.0rc1 ??

Jared Morrow
Nothing is changing, but we decided we needed to get more docs and release notes written.  Today we decided to get things done today and over the weekend and push it out to the public on Monday.

Sorry for the delay.

-Jared