Stopping/Starting Riak.

Kevin Burton

I noticed that I have no problem with ‘sudo /etc/init.d/riak stop’. But, when I try to start the process with ‘sudo /etc/init.d/riak start’ I am met with a prompt for a password. What is the password? I don’t recall setting a password.

Re: Stopping/Starting Riak.

Justin Sheehy

On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:26 AM, Kevin Burton wrote:

> I noticed that I have no problem with ‘sudo /etc/init.d/riak stop’. But, when I try to start the process with ‘sudo /etc/init.d/riak start’ I am met with a prompt for a password. What is the password? I don’t recall setting a password.

That is sudo, not Riak, asking for your password. You should use the same password that you use to log in to that machine.

RE: Stopping/Starting Riak.

Kevin Burton
It is not sudo. I have already entered the password for sudo at this point.

On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:26 AM, Kevin Burton wrote:

> I noticed that I have no problem with 'sudo /etc/init.d/riak stop'. But,
when I try to start the process with 'sudo /etc/init.d/riak start' I am met
with a prompt for a password. What is the password? I don't recall setting a
password.

That is sudo, not Riak, asking for your password. You should use the same
password that you use to log in to that machine.

Re: Stopping/Starting Riak.

Richard Shaw
Hi Kevin

Try:

sudo su -

Then:

/etc/init.d/riak stop

What happens and what's the output?

Regards

Richard

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Kevin Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is not sudo. I have already entered the password for sudo at this point.

RE: Stopping/Starting Riak.

Kevin Burton
The problem seemed to go away. I was some other password request. Sudo
password requests always have the string '[sudo]' in it so I can tell where
it came from. This prompt just asked 'Password: '. Anyway I cannot reproduce
it now so I guess it is resolved. Thank you and sorry for the 'false alarm'.

wrote:
> It is not sudo. I have already entered the password for sudo at this
point.

Re: Stopping/Starting Riak.

Richard Shaw
No problem Kevin