Status and maturity of riak-cs

Stefan Funk

Hi everybody,

I'm new to Riak-CS and just joined the group.

We've been exploring Riak-CS now for a couple of days and consider it as a potential inhouse-alternative to external S3-based storage providers.

Given the last commit was in January 2016, the question rose as to how well the project is supported and how mature the solution is.

I'd be very thankful for any comments from the community on this.

Best regards

Stefan

Re: Status and maturity of riak-cs

Russell Brown-4
Hi Stefan
On the one hand, even before the demise of Basho, they’d stopped supporting Riak CS. On the other, there is an organisation based in Japan, but with an international remote team, that supports other CS customers, so may well be a choice of support.

The CS code base has not had a huge amount of recent attention, but there are plenty of people running at, in industry, at reasonable scale.

There’s a genuine market of providers of ex-Basho products, and a community of CS users. However there are alternatives under active development.

Regards

Russell

On 19 Jul 2017, at 17:27, Stefan Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm new to Riak-CS and just joined the group.
>
> We've been exploring Riak-CS now for a couple of days and consider it as a potential inhouse-alternative to external S3-based storage providers.
>
> Given the last commit was in January 2016, the question rose as to how well the project is supported and how mature the solution is.
>
> I'd be very thankful for any comments from the community on this.
>
> Best regards
> Stefan

Re: Status and maturity of riak-cs

Alex De la rosa
"However there are alternatives under active development."... can you please list them? I'm also interested on a CS alternative.

Thanks,
Alex

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stefan
On the one hand, even before the demise of Basho, they’d stopped supporting Riak CS. On the other, there is an organisation based in Japan, but with an international remote team, that supports other CS customers, so may well be a choice of support.

The CS code base has not had a huge amount of recent attention, but there are plenty of people running at, in industry, at reasonable scale.

There’s a genuine market of providers of ex-Basho products, and a community of CS users. However there are alternatives under active development.

Regards

Russell

On 19 Jul 2017, at 17:27, Stefan Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm new to Riak-CS and just joined the group.
>
> We've been exploring Riak-CS now for a couple of days and consider it as a potential inhouse-alternative to external S3-based storage providers.
>
> Given the last commit was in January 2016, the question rose as to how well the project is supported and how mature the solution is.
>
> I'd be very thankful for any comments from the community on this.
>
> Best regards
> Stefan

Re: Status and maturity of riak-cs

Russell Brown-4
I was really only thinking of LeoFS, Ceph, and Joyent Manta.

There must be others.

Or stay on CS. What do you need to stay on it? Basho were certainly not doing anything.

On 20 Jul 2017, at 06:57, Alex De la rosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "However there are alternatives under active development."... can you please list them? I'm also interested on a CS alternative.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stefan
> On the one hand, even before the demise of Basho, they’d stopped supporting Riak CS. On the other, there is an organisation based in Japan, but with an international remote team, that supports other CS customers, so may well be a choice of support.
>
> The CS code base has not had a huge amount of recent attention, but there are plenty of people running at, in industry, at reasonable scale.
>
> There’s a genuine market of providers of ex-Basho products, and a community of CS users. However there are alternatives under active development.
>
> Regards
>
> Russell
>
> On 19 Jul 2017, at 17:27, Stefan Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I'm new to Riak-CS and just joined the group.
> >
> > We've been exploring Riak-CS now for a couple of days and consider it as a potential inhouse-alternative to external S3-based storage providers.
> >
> > Given the last commit was in January 2016, the question rose as to how well the project is supported and how mature the solution is.
> >
> > I'd be very thankful for any comments from the community on this.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Stefan

Re: Status and maturity of riak-cs

Alex De la rosa
I never had the time to implement CS but my idea was using it as a photo/video storage for the social network I was building on Raik-KV. But seeing Basho's situation is better to look for a CS alternative.

LeoFS looks good, and seems Rakuten is one of its sponsors... might well test it.

Thanks,
Alex

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was really only thinking of LeoFS, Ceph, and Joyent Manta.

There must be others.

Or stay on CS. What do you need to stay on it? Basho were certainly not doing anything.

On 20 Jul 2017, at 06:57, Alex De la rosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "However there are alternatives under active development."... can you please list them? I'm also interested on a CS alternative.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stefan
> On the one hand, even before the demise of Basho, they’d stopped supporting Riak CS. On the other, there is an organisation based in Japan, but with an international remote team, that supports other CS customers, so may well be a choice of support.
>
> The CS code base has not had a huge amount of recent attention, but there are plenty of people running at, in industry, at reasonable scale.
>
> There’s a genuine market of providers of ex-Basho products, and a community of CS users. However there are alternatives under active development.
>
> Regards
>
> Russell
>
> On 19 Jul 2017, at 17:27, Stefan Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I'm new to Riak-CS and just joined the group.
> >
> > We've been exploring Riak-CS now for a couple of days and consider it as a potential inhouse-alternative to external S3-based storage providers.
> >
> > Given the last commit was in January 2016, the question rose as to how well the project is supported and how mature the solution is.
> >
> > I'd be very thankful for any comments from the community on this.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Stefan

Re: Status and maturity of riak-cs

Stefan Funk
Thanks again Russell and Steve for your input. I answered you before without adding the group.

We found LeoFS, Ceph and Minio Server to be interesting alternatives - but haven't tested them.

Furthermore there is Pithos, FakeS3, Eucalyptus, Scality
.

And there is Swift.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was really only thinking of LeoFS, Ceph, and Joyent Manta.

There must be others.

Or stay on CS. What do you need to stay on it? Basho were certainly not doing anything.

On 20 Jul 2017, at 06:57, Alex De la rosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "However there are alternatives under active development."... can you please list them? I'm also interested on a CS alternative.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stefan
> On the one hand, even before the demise of Basho, they’d stopped supporting Riak CS. On the other, there is an organisation based in Japan, but with an international remote team, that supports other CS customers, so may well be a choice of support.
>
> The CS code base has not had a huge amount of recent attention, but there are plenty of people running at, in industry, at reasonable scale.
>
> There’s a genuine market of providers of ex-Basho products, and a community of CS users. However there are alternatives under active development.
>
> Regards
>
> Russell
>
> On 19 Jul 2017, at 17:27, Stefan Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I'm new to Riak-CS and just joined the group.
> >
> > We've been exploring Riak-CS now for a couple of days and consider it as a potential inhouse-alternative to external S3-based storage providers.
> >
> > Given the last commit was in January 2016, the question rose as to how well the project is supported and how mature the solution is.
> >
> > I'd be very thankful for any comments from the community on this.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Stefan

Re: Status and maturity of riak-cs

Toby Corkindale-2
Riak CS works, but has some long-standing issues that have never been resolved.
It doesn't support AWSv4 auth signatures, so some client libraries won't talk to it at all.
It's quite fragile in respect to its connections to Riak KV -- if KV is slow to start up, then Riak CS dies. If KV is restarted, then CS just error messages to client for as many requests as you have internal worker connections. (ie. many across your cluster)

Performance isn't particularly good, and disk usage ends up far higher than you'd expect.

I've been actively trying to migrate over to Minio for S3 storage, instead. Worth a look, and unlike riak CS, has had lots of active development in recent times.

-Toby

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 at 02:28 Stefan Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everybody,

I'm new to Riak-CS and just joined the group.

We've been exploring Riak-CS now for a couple of days and consider it as a potential inhouse-alternative to external S3-based storage providers.

Given the last commit was in January 2016, the question rose as to how well the project is supported and how mature the solution is.

I'd be very thankful for any comments from the community on this.

Best regards

Stefan

RE: Status and maturity of riak-cs

Javier Palacios

Regarding minio, we had a look a few months ago when deciding about object storage. We discarded it mainly because at that time there was no way to replace a damaged disk. That is, if you got 4 disk and 1 breaks, you will keep with 3 disks. Self-healing was close to beta stage, but the fact that it weren't considered a zero-day feature discouraged me a bit. It was also unclear about growing capabilities respect to the allocated storage size. Actually, I was told on the slack channel that it wasn't possible.
The other primary alternative we evaluate was swift, but discarded because it seemed too big for our current needs & infrastructure.

Javier Palacios

Re: Status and maturity of riak-cs

Russell Brown-4
Not sure how great an idea is it to inject an unfinished solution into the conversation, but Scott Fritchie and a small team were working on Machi, before it was short-sightedly shelved by management.

https://github.com/basho/machi

Maybe the world could use another blob store after all?