Start up problem talking to Riak

longHairedDavid
 I know that this isn't directly a Riak issue but I am sure that some of you have met this before and can maybe help me. I am used to Macs and Windows but have now set up an Ubuntu 14.04LTS server on my home network. I have 5 fixed IP addresses so the server has its own external address. I have opened port 8098 on my router to point at the server and checked that ufw isn't running. I have tested with it running ufw and with  'allow 8098' applied. I still cannot connect to Riak. On the same computer I get a pong back to a ping so Riak seems to be OK.

I have a Riak server running on AWS and had trouble setting that up until I, eventually, opened all ports.

Can anyone please suggest some steps that I might take? I need this running for an Open University course that I am studying. My AWS free server runs out before the course finishes so I have to get this up and running soon.
Thanks  in advance.
David

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Re: Start up problem talking to Riak

Alex Moore
Hi David,

In your riak.conf files, what do the "listener.protobuf.internal" and "listener.http.internal" lines look like?  Are they bound to "127.0.0.1:xxxx", "0.0.0.0:xxxx", or the external ip address?

Thanks,
Alex

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 5:00 AM, AWS <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alexander Sicular
Please don't do that. Don't point the internet at your database. Have them communicate amongst each other on internal ips and route the public through a proxy / middleware.

-Alexander

@siculars
http://siculars.posthaven.com

Sent from my iRotaryPhone

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 04:00, AWS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I know that this isn't directly a Riak issue but I am sure that some of you have met this before and can maybe help me. I am used to Macs and Windows but have now set up an Ubuntu 14.04LTS server on my home network. I have 5 fixed IP addresses so the server has its own external address. I have opened port 8098 on my router to point at the server and checked that ufw isn't running. I have tested with it running ufw and with  'allow 8098' applied. I still cannot connect to Riak. On the same computer I get a pong back to a ping so Riak seems to be OK.
>
> I have a Riak server running on AWS and had trouble setting that up until I, eventually, opened all ports.
>
> Can anyone please suggest some steps that I might take? I need this running for an Open University course that I am studying. My AWS free server runs out before the course finishes so I have to get this up and running soon.
> Thanks  in advance.
> David
>
> Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Re: Start up problem talking to Riak

Alex Moore
Yeah, what Alex said.  You can't see it with your application because it's currently bound to the localhost loopback address, but
it's bad to just expose everything publicly.

1. Where is this cluster running? (AWS or local dev cluster?)
2. What are you trying to connect to Riak with? Is it one of our clients or just raw HTTP requests?

Thanks,
Alex

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please don't do that. Don't point the internet at your database. Have them communicate amongst each other on internal ips and route the public through a proxy / middleware.

-Alexander

@siculars
http://siculars.posthaven.com

Sent from my iRotaryPhone

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 04:00, AWS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I know that this isn't directly a Riak issue but I am sure that some of you have met this before and can maybe help me. I am used to Macs and Windows but have now set up an Ubuntu 14.04LTS server on my home network. I have 5 fixed IP addresses so the server has its own external address. I have opened port 8098 on my router to point at the server and checked that ufw isn't running. I have tested with it running ufw and with  'allow 8098' applied. I still cannot connect to Riak. On the same computer I get a pong back to a ping so Riak seems to be OK.
>
> I have a Riak server running on AWS and had trouble setting that up until I, eventually, opened all ports.
>
> Can anyone please suggest some steps that I might take? I need this running for an Open University course that I am studying. My AWS free server runs out before the course finishes so I have to get this up and running soon.
> Thanks  in advance.
> David
>
> Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Re: Start up problem talking to Riak

longHairedDavid
OK, I took the machine down intending to write my own quick and easy key value db (I have done this before) but I have told my uni that I am using Riak so I thought that I ought to have another go.

I have reinstalled Ubuntu and Riak. The computer now has an internal IP (192.168.1.94) rather than an external fixed IP. I started up Riak and got a pong. I then tried to connect with my software from  that already works with the Riak I have running on Amazon AWS so I know that the software works - just a request for a list of buckets.

I got a "Connection refused error. I checked and 8098 was closed. I edited Riak.conf as advices from 127.0.0.0 to 0.0.0.0 but now Riak won't start (Riak failed to start in 15 seconds).

I really want to get this working and, given I have an assignment due in a few days, sooner rather than later.  It is working fine on AWS but it is such a faff getting onto that using ssh as I am never sure of my key to use so I can't check the config there.

This can't be hard, can it?

Please help.

David

Yeah, what Alex said.  You can't see it with your application because it's currently bound to the localhost loopback address, but
it's bad to just expose everything publicly.

1. Where is this cluster running? (AWS or local dev cluster?)
2. What are you trying to connect to Riak with? Is it one of our clients or just raw HTTP requests?

Thanks,
Alex

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please don't do that. Don't point the internet at your database. Have them communicate amongst each other on internal ips and route the public through a proxy / middleware.

-Alexander

@siculars
http://siculars.posthaven.com

Sent from my iRotaryPhone

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 04:00, AWS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I know that this isn't directly a Riak issue but I am sure that some of you have met this before and can maybe help me. I am used to Macs and Windows but have now set up an Ubuntu 14.04LTS server on my home network. I have 5 fixed IP addresses so the server has its own external address. I have opened port 8098 on my router to point at the server and checked that ufw isn't running. I have tested with it running ufw and with  'allow 8098' applied. I still cannot connect to Riak. On the same computer I get a pong back to a ping so Riak seems to be OK.
>
> I have a Riak server running on AWS and had trouble setting that up until I, eventually, opened all ports.
>
> Can anyone please suggest some steps that I might take? I need this running for an Open University course that I am studying. My AWS free server runs out before the course finishes so I have to get this up and running soon.
> Thanks  in advance.
> David
>
> Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Re: Start up problem talking to Riak

sean mcevoy
Hi David,
I vaguely remember the same problem from a previous setup I did, a while ago now.
IIRC, the original configured IP gets written to disk on the initial start and then the next start fails due to the mis-match.
Try deleting your data directory and restarting, so this will be like the initial startup again.
//Sean.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:31 AM, AWS <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> I have a Riak server running on AWS and had trouble setting that up until I, eventually, opened all ports.
>
> Can anyone please suggest some steps that I might take? I need this running for an Open University course that I am studying. My AWS free server runs out before the course finishes so I have to get this up and running soon.

Thanks but I have it sorted. I changed the IP address to an internal one as in 192.168.1.xx. I then changed the listener.http.internal to that IP address and everything worked.

Many thanks to all that helped.

David

Yeah, what Alex said.  You can't see it with your application because it's currently bound to the localhost loopback address, but
it's bad to just expose everything publicly.

1. Where is this cluster running? (AWS or local dev cluster?)
2. What are you trying to connect to Riak with? Is it one of our clients or just raw HTTP requests?

Thanks,
Alex

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please don't do that. Don't point the internet at your database. Have them communicate amongst each other on internal ips and route the public through a proxy / middleware.

-Alexander

@siculars
http://siculars.posthaven.com

Sent from my iRotaryPhone

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 04:00, AWS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I know that this isn't directly a Riak issue but I am sure that some of you have met this before and can maybe help me. I am used to Macs and Windows but have now set up an Ubuntu 14.04LTS server on my home network. I have 5 fixed IP addresses so the server has its own external address. I have opened port 8098 on my router to point at the server and checked that ufw isn't running. I have tested with it running ufw and with  'allow 8098' applied. I still cannot connect to Riak. On the same computer I get a pong back to a ping so Riak seems to be OK.
>
> I have a Riak server running on AWS and had trouble setting that up until I, eventually, opened all ports.
>
> Can anyone please suggest some steps that I might take? I need this running for an Open University course that I am studying. My AWS free server runs out before the course finishes so I have to get this up and running soon.
> Thanks  in advance.
> David
>
> Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Re: Start up problem talking to Riak

longHairedDavid
OK, so I have Riak KV working from the download on their web page.

When I had three AWS servers it was easy to get them working together as they each had a separate install. I would like to install three copies of Riak KV on the same machine. How would I do that given that the install package always installs to "Riak"?

David

Thanks but I have it sorted. I changed the IP address to an internal one as in 192.168.1.xx. I then changed the listener.http.internal to that IP address and everything worked.

Many thanks to all that helped.

David

Yeah, what Alex said.  You can't see it with your application because it's currently bound to the localhost loopback address, but
it's bad to just expose everything publicly.

1. Where is this cluster running? (AWS or local dev cluster?)
2. What are you trying to connect to Riak with? Is it one of our clients or just raw HTTP requests?

Thanks,
Alex

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please don't do that. Don't point the internet at your database. Have them communicate amongst each other on internal ips and route the public through a proxy / middleware.

-Alexander

@siculars
http://siculars.posthaven.com

Sent from my iRotaryPhone

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 04:00, AWS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I know that this isn't directly a Riak issue but I am sure that some of you have met this before and can maybe help me. I am used to Macs and Windows but have now set up an Ubuntu 14.04LTS server on my home network. I have 5 fixed IP addresses so the server has its own external address. I have opened port 8098 on my router to point at the server and checked that ufw isn't running. I have tested with it running ufw and with  'allow 8098' applied. I still cannot connect to Riak. On the same computer I get a pong back to a ping so Riak seems to be OK.
>
> I have a Riak server running on AWS and had trouble setting that up until I, eventually, opened all ports.
>
> Can anyone please suggest some steps that I might take? I need this running for an Open University course that I am studying. My AWS free server runs out before the course finishes so I have to get this up and running soon.
> Thanks  in advance.
> David
>
> Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Re: Start up problem talking to Riak

Luke Bakken
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:30 AM, AWS <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I had three AWS servers it was easy to get them working together as
> they each had a separate install. I would like to install three copies of
> Riak KV on the same machine. How would I do that given that the install
> package always installs to "Riak"?

The packages are not meant to be used this way. If you need to run
multiple nodes on the same server (only for development purposes,
right??) then building Riak from source is the best way to do so:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/kv/2.2.0/setup/installing/source/

You will want to use a command like this:

make DEVNODES=3 stagedevrel

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer

Re: Start up problem talking to Riak

longHairedDavid
Total Linux newby - scared of that one. I will try though :-)

I am building this to help with my university project course so not going live at all.
Thanks

David

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:30 AM, AWS  wrote:
> When I had three AWS servers it was easy to get them working together as
> they each had a separate install. I would like to install three copies of
> Riak KV on the same machine. How would I do that given that the install
> package always installs to "Riak"?

The packages are not meant to be used this way. If you need to run
multiple nodes on the same server (only for development purposes,
right??) then building Riak from source is the best way to do so:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/kv/2.2.0/setup/installing/source/

You will want to use a command like this:

make DEVNODES=3 stagedevrel

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer
[hidden email]

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

Re: Start up problem talking to Riak

Luke Bakken
Another option would be to use Riak via Docker:
https://hub.docker.com/r/basho/riak-kv/

Or, use VMs, but that's pretty heavy.

If you have issues building Riak, that's what this mailing list is
for. Good luck!

Luke