Simple map/reduce gives {"error":"timeout"}

Simple map/reduce gives {"error":"timeout"}

Mårten Gustafson
Howdy,

I've been trying to get some simple m/r tests to work. But always end
up with {"error":"timeout"}. I run this on a bucket with 8 keys, which
have a JSON-object with two string key-value pairs in it. Hence; no
data volumes whatsoever.

Attached is the output from "riak-admin logger" during the m/r
processing on 192.168.20.57 which is the node I POST the m/r to. Below
is the m/r i try to run and the bucket info.

Thanks
/mårten.

Map/Reduce test:
{"inputs":"mrtest", "query":[{"map":{"language":"javascript",
"source":"function(value, keyData, arg) { return [1] }"}}]}

Bucket info:
http://192.168.20.57:8098/raw/mrtest

{
  "props": {
    "name": "mrtest",
    "allow_mult": false,
    "big_vclock": 50,
    "chash_keyfun": {
      "mod": "riak_util",
      "fun": "chash_std_keyfun"
    },
    "linkfun": {
      "mod": "raw_link_walker_resource",
      "fun": "mapreduce_linkfun"
    },
    "n_val": 3,
    "old_vclock": 86400,
    "small_vclock": 10,
    "young_vclock": 20
  },
  "keys": [
    "five",
    "one",
    "two",
    "three",
    "six",
    "eight",
    "four",
    "seven"
  ]
}

mr.log (28K) Download Attachment

Re: Simple map/reduce gives {"error":"timeout"}

Kevin Smith-5
Marten -

When Riak starts up do you see any output like this:

=INFO REPORT==== 11-Feb-2010::13:59:33 ===
Spidermonkey VM host starting (<0.94.0>)

=INFO REPORT==== 11-Feb-2010::13:59:33 ===
Spidermonkey VM host starting (<0.96.0>)

If not, you'll see timeouts because there aren't any Javascript VMs for Riak to use.

This actually bit me today during some benchmarking. I had screwed up my app.config file and no Javascript VMs started up.

Of course, the error message for this case should be much better and I'll be fixing that before the end of today.

--Kevin
On Feb 10, 2010, at 4:11 PM, Mårten Gustafson wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I've been trying to get some simple m/r tests to work. But always end
> up with {"error":"timeout"}. I run this on a bucket with 8 keys, which
> have a JSON-object with two string key-value pairs in it. Hence; no
> data volumes whatsoever.
>
> Attached is the output from "riak-admin logger" during the m/r
> processing on 192.168.20.57 which is the node I POST the m/r to. Below
> is the m/r i try to run and the bucket info.
>

> Thanks
> /mårten.
>

> Map/Reduce test:
> {"inputs":"mrtest", "query":[{"map":{"language":"javascript",
> "source":"function(value, keyData, arg) { return [1] }"}}]}
>
> Bucket info:
> http://192.168.20.57:8098/raw/mrtest
>
> {
>  "props": {
>    "name": "mrtest",
>    "allow_mult": false,
>    "big_vclock": 50,
>    "chash_keyfun": {
>      "mod": "riak_util",
>      "fun": "chash_std_keyfun"
>    },
>    "linkfun": {
>      "mod": "raw_link_walker_resource",
>      "fun": "mapreduce_linkfun"
>    },
>    "n_val": 3,
>    "old_vclock": 86400,
>    "small_vclock": 10,
>    "young_vclock": 20
>  },
>  "keys": [
>    "five",
>    "one",
>    "two",
>    "three",
>    "six",
>    "eight",
>    "four",
>    "seven"
>  ]
> }
> <mr.log>_______________________________________________

Re: Simple map/reduce gives {"error":"timeout"}

francisco treacy-2
FWIW, I had a similar error (a timeout) when running a map/reduce job
on a bucket whose documents were accessible through the jiak interface
(not raw)... but Riak didn't give any clue that could make me think
that was actually the problem.

Francisco

2010/2/11 Kevin Smith <[hidden email]>:

> Marten -
>
> When Riak starts up do you see any output like this:
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 11-Feb-2010::13:59:33 ===
> Spidermonkey VM host starting (<0.94.0>)
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 11-Feb-2010::13:59:33 ===
> Spidermonkey VM host starting (<0.96.0>)
>
> If not, you'll see timeouts because there aren't any Javascript VMs for Riak to use.
>
> This actually bit me today during some benchmarking. I had screwed up my app.config file and no Javascript VMs started up.
>
> Of course, the error message for this case should be much better and I'll be fixing that before the end of today.
>
> --Kevin
> On Feb 10, 2010, at 4:11 PM, Mårten Gustafson wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I've been trying to get some simple m/r tests to work. But always end
>> up with {"error":"timeout"}. I run this on a bucket with 8 keys, which
>> have a JSON-object with two string key-value pairs in it. Hence; no
>> data volumes whatsoever.
>>
>> Attached is the output from "riak-admin logger" during the m/r
>> processing on 192.168.20.57 which is the node I POST the m/r to. Below
>> is the m/r i try to run and the bucket info.
>>

>> Thanks
>> /mårten.
>>

>> Map/Reduce test:
>> {"inputs":"mrtest", "query":[{"map":{"language":"javascript",
>> "source":"function(value, keyData, arg) { return [1] }"}}]}
>>
>> Bucket info:
>> http://192.168.20.57:8098/raw/mrtest
>>
>> {
>>  "props": {
>>    "name": "mrtest",
>>    "allow_mult": false,
>>    "big_vclock": 50,
>>    "chash_keyfun": {
>>      "mod": "riak_util",
>>      "fun": "chash_std_keyfun"
>>    },
>>    "linkfun": {
>>      "mod": "raw_link_walker_resource",
>>      "fun": "mapreduce_linkfun"
>>    },
>>    "n_val": 3,
>>    "old_vclock": 86400,
>>    "small_vclock": 10,
>>    "young_vclock": 20
>>  },
>>  "keys": [
>>    "five",
>>    "one",
>>    "two",
>>    "three",
>>    "six",
>>    "eight",
>>    "four",
>>    "seven"
>>  ]
>> }
>> <mr.log>_______________________________________________

Re: Simple map/reduce gives {"error":"timeout"}

Kevin Smith-5
Yep. The map/reduce code has some rough edges. I'm working on filing them down as I go. Hopefully things will be much improved with at the next release.

--Kevin

On 11 February 2010 21:15, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When Riak starts up do you see any output like this:
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 11-Feb-2010::13:59:33 ===
> Spidermonkey VM host starting (<0.96.0>)
>
> If not, you'll see timeouts because there aren't any Javascript VMs for Riak to use.
>
> This actually bit me today during some benchmarking. I had screwed up my app.config file and no Javascript VMs started up.

Thanks! That was it - I had a look at
http://bitbucket.org/basho/riak/src/tip/rel/overlay/etc/app.config and
immediatly noticed my lack of the "{js_vm_count, 8}" conf in my
app.config.

Everything seems dandy now.

> Of course, the error message for this case should be much better and I'll be fixing that before the end of today.

Appreciated ;-)

/mårten.