Should Riak use paramterised modules?

Zubair Quraishi
I have been looking around the source code for Riak and I have noticed that Riak uses parameterized modules:

-module(riak_client, [Node,ClientId]).

: to enable for example the following in the client API:

{ok, RiakClient} = riak:client_connect('[hidden email]').

RiakClient:list_buckets().

However, I have also heard that paramterized modules are only an experimental feature of Erlang and are not only unsupported, but may be removed in the future. If this were to happen it would break all the Riak Erlang client libraries.

Is this something that should be changed in Riak as soon as possible, or am I mistaken on this?

Thanks

Zubair

Re: Should Riak use paramterised modules?

Kevin Smith-5
Zubair -

Thanks for pointing this out. I'd like to mention that parameterized modules have been in the language for several major releases and other projects aside from Riak, such as mochiweb, also depend on parameterized modules. Removing them at this stage would break a other Erlang projects so I think we're safe.
However, Riak is also an open source project and we welcome patches from the community. If you'd like to submit a patch removing parameterized module support we'd be happy to review it.

Thanks,
Kevin
On Feb 18, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Zubair Quraishi wrote:

> I have been looking around the source code for Riak and I have noticed that Riak uses parameterized modules:
>
> -module(riak_client, [Node,ClientId]).
>
> : to enable for example the following in the client API:
>
> {ok, RiakClient} = riak:client_connect('riak@192.168.1.4').
>
> RiakClient:list_buckets().
>
> However, I have also heard that paramterized modules are only an experimental feature of Erlang and are not only unsupported, but may be removed in the future. If this were to happen it would break all the Riak Erlang client libraries.
>
> Is this something that should be changed in Riak as soon as possible, or am I mistaken on this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Zubair

Re: Should Riak use paramterised modules?

Zubair Quraishi
What happens if Erlang removes parameterized modules though, this will break Riak too? Although I haven't ask anyone at Erricson if this is possible as I don't know them so well. Do any of you guys know who to ask?

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Zubair -

Thanks for pointing this out. I'd like to mention that parameterized modules have been in the language for several major releases and other projects aside from Riak, such as mochiweb, also depend on parameterized modules. Removing them at this stage would break a other Erlang projects so I think we're safe.
However, Riak is also an open source project and we welcome patches from the community. If you'd like to submit a patch removing parameterized module support we'd be happy to review it.

Thanks,
Kevin
On Feb 18, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Zubair Quraishi wrote:

> I have been looking around the source code for Riak and I have noticed that Riak uses parameterized modules:
>
> -module(riak_client, [Node,ClientId]).
>
> : to enable for example the following in the client API:
>
> {ok, RiakClient} = riak:client_connect('[hidden email]').
>
> RiakClient:list_buckets().
>
> However, I have also heard that paramterized modules are only an experimental feature of Erlang and are not only unsupported, but may be removed in the future. If this were to happen it would break all the Riak Erlang client libraries.
>
> Is this something that should be changed in Riak as soon as possible, or am I mistaken on this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Zubair

Re: Should Riak use paramterised modules?

Justin Sheehy
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Zubair Quraishi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What happens if Erlang removes parameterized modules though, this will break
> Riak too? Although I haven't ask anyone at Erricson if this is possible as I
> don't know them so well. Do any of you guys know who to ask?

We are currently not worried at all about this feature being removed
from Erlang.

Also, we can choose which versions of Erlang to support and so even if
parameterized modules were removed (which is very unlikely anytime
soon) this would only break Riak if we moved to a version of Erlang
with that change.

If it worries you personally, you should free free to ask on the
erlang-questions list directly as the core developers from Ericsson
are on that list.

Re: Should Riak use paramterised modules?

Eric Cestari

Le 18 févr. 2010 à 20:57, Zubair Quraishi a écrit :

> What happens if Erlang removes parameterized modules though, this will break Riak too?
It would. I don't think they'll remove the feature. But would that happen, we should have a fair warning from Ericsson with deprecation warnings.
... With at least a year for readying. So I wouldn't worry on that.

Re: Should Riak use paramterised modules?

Zubair Quraishi
But it means all third party apps written for Riak would break too. Ok, I'll ask someone from Erricson

http://www.erlang.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?4:mss:49535:201002:aicfhmngkhodmclhlnak