Riak won't die all the way on OS X

Jon Brisbin
I'm running the pre-built binaries for Riak 0.13 (and 0.12 x64, for that matter) for OS X 10.6.

When I do a "riak stop", there is one process still running. The epmd -daemon process. I have to kill it manually.

In my testing, I'm starting 0.13, running a test, then shutting it down, starting 0.12 and running another test. If I'm not switching versions, then I just leave it running.

Will this cause a problem if I restart the server and leave this last process running? What about if I switch from 0.13 to 0.12 (or vice versa)? Will it interfere with anything? Do I even need to kill it?

Thanks!

J. Brisbin

Re: Riak won't die all the way on OS X

Grant Schofield
Things should be fine if you choose to kill it or not, epmd will start as needed and there isn't a difference in between the versions shipped with 0.13.x or 0.12.x.

Grant Schofield
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies.

On Nov 30, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Jon Brisbin wrote:

I'm running the pre-built binaries for Riak 0.13 (and 0.12 x64, for that matter) for OS X 10.6.

When I do a "riak stop", there is one process still running. The epmd -daemon process. I have to kill it manually.

In my testing, I'm starting 0.13, running a test, then shutting it down, starting 0.12 and running another test. If I'm not switching versions, then I just leave it running.

Will this cause a problem if I restart the server and leave this last process running? What about if I switch from 0.13 to 0.12 (or vice versa)? Will it interfere with anything? Do I even need to kill it?

Thanks!

J. Brisbin

Re: Riak won't die all the way on OS X

Jon,

You can just leave empd running.  That is standard erlang runtime
behavior and generally won't cause any problems.

-Justin

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Jon Brisbin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running the pre-built binaries for Riak 0.13 (and 0.12 x64, for that
> matter) for OS X 10.6.
> When I do a "riak stop", there is one process still running. The epmd
> -daemon process. I have to kill it manually.
> In my testing, I'm starting 0.13, running a test, then shutting it down,
> starting 0.12 and running another test. If I'm not switching versions, then
> I just leave it running.
> Will this cause a problem if I restart the server and leave this last
> process running? What about if I switch from 0.13 to 0.12 (or vice versa)?
> Will it interfere with anything? Do I even need to kill it?
>
> Thanks!
> J. Brisbin
> http://jbrisbin.com/

Re: Riak won't die all the way on OS X

Ulf Wiger
Actually, in general, you _should_ leave it running, as other applications on your system may depend on it.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd
http://www.erlang-solutions.com

Justin Sheehy <[hidden email]> skrev:

>Jon,
>
>You can just leave empd running.  That is standard erlang runtime
>behavior and generally won't cause any problems.
>
>-Justin
>

>On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Jon Brisbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm running the pre-built binaries for Riak 0.13 (and 0.12 x64, for that
>> matter) for OS X 10.6.
>> When I do a "riak stop", there is one process still running. The epmd
>> -daemon process. I have to kill it manually.
>> In my testing, I'm starting 0.13, running a test, then shutting it down,
>> starting 0.12 and running another test. If I'm not switching versions, then
>> I just leave it running.
>> Will this cause a problem if I restart the server and leave this last
>> process running? What about if I switch from 0.13 to 0.12 (or vice versa)?
>> Will it interfere with anything? Do I even need to kill it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> J. Brisbin
>> http://jbrisbin.com/

Re: Riak won't die all the way on OS X

Alvaro Videla-2
Jon,

Here you have some docs on the epmd: http://erlang.org/doc/man/epmd.html

-Alvaro

On Dec 1, 2010, at 2:02 PM, Ulf Wiger wrote:

> Actually, in general, you _should_ leave it running, as other applications on your system may depend on it.
>
> BR,
> Ulf W
>
> Ulf Wiger
> CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd
> http://www.erlang-solutions.com
>
> Justin Sheehy <[hidden email]> skrev:
>
>> Jon,
>>
>> You can just leave empd running.  That is standard erlang runtime
>> behavior and generally won't cause any problems.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Jon Brisbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm running the pre-built binaries for Riak 0.13 (and 0.12 x64, for that
>>> matter) for OS X 10.6.
>>> When I do a "riak stop", there is one process still running. The epmd
>>> -daemon process. I have to kill it manually.
>>> In my testing, I'm starting 0.13, running a test, then shutting it down,
>>> starting 0.12 and running another test. If I'm not switching versions, then
>>> I just leave it running.
>>> Will this cause a problem if I restart the server and leave this last
>>> process running? What about if I switch from 0.13 to 0.12 (or vice versa)?
>>> Will it interfere with anything? Do I even need to kill it?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> J. Brisbin
>>> http://jbrisbin.com/

Re: Riak won't die all the way on OS X

Scott Lystig Fritchie-2
Ulf Wiger <[hidden email]> wrote:

uw> Actually, in general, you _should_ leave it running, as other
uw> applications on your system may depend on it.

Ulf is right: you ought to leave it running.  The protocol is stable, so
beyond the very rare bugfix, there's no epmd-was-upgraded-now-what
reason to kill it.

Killing epmd will definitely confuse other Erlang applications running
on that node.  In a previous life, in a mobile carrier data center, the
Ops folks had added a "killall epmd" thing into their processes without
telling us.

Then we started getting weird bug reports of "we stopped app A, and then
app B went crazy like *this*".  A & B weren't inter-dependent from the
Ops staffs' limited point of view, but both A & B were Erlang programs.
Doesn't matter if they're custom apps, RabbitMQ, Ejabberd, or whatever,
just leave epmd running.

-Scott