Riak search - Lucene

Joshua Partogi
Hi there,

I am trying to picture the relationship between Riak and Lucene [or
how Riak interacts with Lucene], which makes Riak search. Questions
arise such as:

1. Does riak only acts as a proxy [or interface] for Solr, because I
saw in the app.config that we need to specify the Solr port ?
   a) If so, is there a one-to-one relationship between Riak - Solr
[or does one Riak instance can only connect to one Solr instance]?
   b) If not, how is Lucene used by Riak search?
2. Where is the index stored? In Lucene or Riak KV store?

It would also be great if a interaction diagram between Riak KV and
Lucene/Solr is provided in the wiki so n00bs like me can see a high
level overview of Riak search.

Kind regards,
Joshua.
--
http://twitter.com/jpartogi

Re: Riak search - Lucene

Justin Sheehy
Hi, Joshua.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Joshua Partogi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to picture the relationship between Riak and Lucene [or
> how Riak interacts with Lucene], which makes Riak search.

This is a very easy relationship to picture, as there is no such
interaction.  :-)

Riak Search does not use Lucene or Solr.  It provides a very similar
interface to those search systems in order to ease the transition for
developers, but is an independent piece of software from top to
bottom.  Indexes are stored in Riak Search's own storage engine,
queries are parsed by Riak Search's parser, and so on.

The closest thing there is to such a relationship is that you can (but
do not need to) use the same text analyzer libraries in Riak Search
that you use in Lucene.

I hope that this helps with your understanding.

Best regards,