Riak not binding to anything but localhost

Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
Hi there

Trying to get a simple Riak Cluster configured on some VMs. I'm using
Ubuntu 12.04 and compiled Riak 1.4 from source. It will start up fine
when bound to 127.0.0.1 but after changing the IP in app.config and
vm.args it no longer starts.

The only output I get from Riak start is:

Node 'riak@192.168.123.10' not responding to pings.

I bet more (obviously) from riak console, this is in the Gist linked below.

All the relevant config files, console outputs and log files are here:

https://gist.github.com/antz29/f159b7e5400af22dacd8

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

John

--
John Le Drew

www.antz29.com

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
For sanity, I just moved the Erlang crash dump into it's own Gist :
https://gist.github.com/antz29/47b17f64e01e5d8f702f

Cheers

John

--
John Le Drew

www.antz29.com

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM, John Le Drew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Trying to get a simple Riak Cluster configured on some VMs. I'm using
> Ubuntu 12.04 and compiled Riak 1.4 from source. It will start up fine
> when bound to 127.0.0.1 but after changing the IP in app.config and
> vm.args it no longer starts.
>
> The only output I get from Riak start is:
>
> Node 'riak@192.168.123.10' not responding to pings.
>
> I bet more (obviously) from riak console, this is in the Gist linked below.
>
> All the relevant config files, console outputs and log files are here:
>
> https://gist.github.com/antz29/f159b7e5400af22dacd8
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> John
>
> --
> John Le Drew
>
> www.antz29.com

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

Shane McEwan-2
On 24/07/13 13:14, John Le Drew wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Trying to get a simple Riak Cluster configured on some VMs. I'm using
> Ubuntu 12.04 and compiled Riak 1.4 from source. It will start up fine
> when bound to 127.0.0.1 but after changing the IP in app.config and
> vm.args it no longer starts.
>
> The only output I get from Riak start is:
>
> Node 'riak@192.168.123.10' not responding to pings.
>
> I bet more (obviously) from riak console, this is in the Gist linked below.
>
> All the relevant config files, console outputs and log files are here:
>
> https://gist.github.com/antz29/f159b7e5400af22dacd8

Looking at your app.config file I see a couple of lines like:

  {http, [ {"[[IP]]", 8098 } ]},

Is the "[IP]" you obfuscating your IP address or is that literally
what's in the file? If that's what is in the file I don't think that
will work. :-)

Unless I need to bind to a specific interface I usually use the
"wildcard" IP "0.0.0.0" so that I can use the same config file on all my
nodes. Then, the only place I need to be explicit with an IP is in the
vm.args name variable.

Shane.

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

Christian Dahlqvist
Hi John,

As you started up the node set to 127.0.0.1, a ring file was created with this information. As I believe the node is isolated and not yet part of a cluster, you should be able to remove this and restart it with the new IP.

Best regards,

Christian

On 24 Jul 2013, at 13:14, John Le Drew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Trying to get a simple Riak Cluster configured on some VMs. I'm using
> Ubuntu 12.04 and compiled Riak 1.4 from source. It will start up fine
> when bound to 127.0.0.1 but after changing the IP in app.config and
> vm.args it no longer starts.
>
> The only output I get from Riak start is:
>
> Node 'riak@192.168.123.10' not responding to pings.
>
> I bet more (obviously) from riak console, this is in the Gist linked below.
>
> All the relevant config files, console outputs and log files are here:
>
> https://gist.github.com/antz29/f159b7e5400af22dacd8
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> John
>
> --
> John Le Drew
>
> www.antz29.com

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
OK, so I just rebuilt from source and changed the -name before starting, and
I'm still getting the same issue.

Is there anything else that might be going wrong here? Perhaps someone with
a bit more knowledge of Riak and able to follow the error log might be able
to shed some light?

Cheers

John

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
This post was updated on .
Just to make sure I don't offend anyone! I meant more knowledge than
me! Not more knowledge that the awesome chaps that are helping out

Cheers

John

--
John Le Drew

www.antz29.com

London / (020) 0333 1751 - New York / (646) 606 2993 - Mobile / 07813 211 458
Skype | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Fax / (020) 3519 0049

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM, antz29 <jp@antz29.com> wrote:
> OK, so I just rebuilt from source and changed the -name before starting, and
> I'm still getting the same issue.
>
> Is there anything else that might be going wrong here? Perhaps someone with
> a bit more knowledge of Riak and able to follow the error log might be able
> to shed some light?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

Andrew Thompson
Are you trying to apply an external IP to riak, which may actually be
NATted in from outside? This is very common on AWS:

http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2013-June/012318.html

Andrew

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
It's a host-only interface running on a Vagrant (VirtualBox) VM.

-J

--
John Le Drew

www.antz29.com

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Andrew Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you trying to apply an external IP to riak, which may actually be
> NATted in from outside? This is very common on AWS:
>
> http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2013-June/012318.html
>
> Andrew

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

Andrew Thompson
So what does ifconfig -a (or whatever the heck the modern linux
equivalent is) report for the local interfaces? Is the IP you're trying
to assign present?

Andrew

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
Just for reference, the output of ifconfig:
https://gist.github.com/antz29/40cae3cc8e1860dbecca

--
John Le Drew

www.antz29.com

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM, John Le Drew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's a host-only interface running on a Vagrant (VirtualBox) VM.
>
> -J
>

> --
> John Le Drew
>
> www.antz29.com
>

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Andrew Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you trying to apply an external IP to riak, which may actually be
>> NATted in from outside? This is very common on AWS:
>>
>> http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2013-June/012318.html
>>
>> Andrew

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
see the gist or:

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:83:e8:d9
          inet addr:192.168.123.10  Bcast:192.168.123.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe83:e8d9/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2700587 (2.7 MB)  TX bytes:1442870 (1.4 MB)

Thanks

John

--
John Le Drew

www.antz29.com

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Andrew Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So what does ifconfig -a (or whatever the heck the modern linux
> equivalent is) report for the local interfaces? Is the IP you're trying
> to assign present?
>
> Andrew

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

Andrew Thompson
Ok, so why, in your gist, is the HTTP IP set to [[IP]], at first I
thought you were anonymizing IPs, but I just noticed that you set the PB
IP correctly?

Andrew

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
Sorry, that was just a mistake. I will correct it, my vm.args and
app.config were generated from a shell script and that was replaces
out, when I made my gist I copied the contents of the templates rather
than a generated file by mistake.

Cheers

John

--

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Andrew Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, so why, in your gist, is the HTTP IP set to [[IP]], at first I
> thought you were anonymizing IPs, but I just noticed that you set the PB
> IP correctly?
>
> Andrew

Re: Riak not binding to anything but localhost

antz29
All updated hope it's clearer now. Sorry about that!

Cheers

John

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 05:16:03PM +0100, John Le Drew wrote:
> Sorry, that was just a mistake. I will correct it, my vm.args and
> app.config were generated from a shell script and that was replaces
> out, when I made my gist I copied the contents of the templates rather
> than a generated file by mistake.

But the error.log snippet mentioned the same [[IP]] thing:

https://gist.github.com/antz29/f159b7e5400af22dacd8#file-error-log

Andrew