Riak Recap for 3/31/2010

Mark Phillips-4
Hey All -

One of the first things I do when I roll out of bed in the morning is
go through the #riak IRC logs (which you can see at irclogger.com). I
do this for a bunch of reasons, but primarily to see if there are any
bits of knowledge brought forth by the collective power of the
community that can be used to enhance wiki.basho.com, docs, etc.
Though most questions get a response, there are some that slip through
the cracks. They deserve some love, too. (It pains me when user
question goes unanswered for whatever reason.)

There are also some interesting Q and As that transpire that may touch
on some Riak functionality and features that may not be
apparent or obvious in the docs.

So, we are starting the "Riak Recap." It will consist primarily of a)
all unanswered questions (culled from Twitter, IRC, etc,.) and b)
conversations that took place outside the mailing list that might be
of value to the community as whole. I hope you find some value in it.

Let us know what you think.

Best,

Mark

Mark Phillips
Community Manager
Basho Technologies
twitter.com/pharkmillups

________________

*Riak Recap for 3/31/2010

1) Does mochiweb attempt to do any response caching?  (via bubbafat on IRC)

No. Your best bet would be to use something like Squid or Varnish.

-> For more information on Mochiweb and how Riak uses it, check out:

- http://bitbucket.org/basho/webmachine

- riak/apps/riak/src/raw_http_resource.erl

2) I heard a rumor that Riak had some canned map and reduce functions.
Is there a list somewhere? (via mschaffer on IRC)

This is in fact true.

Erlang MapReduce example are here:
http://bitbucket.org/basho/riak/src/tip/apps/riak/src/riak_mapreduce.erl

JavaScript examples are here:
http://bitbucket.org/basho/riak/src/tip/apps/riak/priv/mapred_builtins.js

There are also docs describing the JS examples here :
http://bitbucket.org/basho/riak/src/tip/doc/js-mapreduce.org

-> Pointers to these docs have also been added to wiki.basho.com under MapReduce

Re: Riak Recap for 3/31/2010

Alexander Sicular
Great idea. I actually keep a box logged into irc for just this
reason. I'll check irclogger.com out. -Alexander