Riak 1.3.1 Errors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Riak 1.3.1 Errors

Shane McEwan-2
G'day!

Nearly every day since upgrading to Riak 1.3.1 I've been seeing the
following errors on random nodes:

2013-08-05 01:00:05.775 [error] <0.212.0> Supervisor
riak_pipe_fitting_sup had child undefined started with
riak_pipe_fitting:start_link() at <0.26698.882> exit with reason noproc
in context shutdown_error

2013-08-05 14:14:35.431 [error] <0.709.0> Supervisor
riak_kv_mrc_sink_sup had child undefined started with
riak_kv_mrc_sink:start_link() at <0.18229.970> exit with reason noproc
in context shutdown_error

What do they mean? I suspect I can ignore them as they're very similar
to the "{sink_died,normal}" messages that we would occasionally get with
previous versions. However, if they're not indicative of a problem why
are they reported as an [error]?

Can someone shed some light on these errors?

Thanks!

Shane.

_______________________________________________
riak-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.basho.com/mailman/listinfo/riak-users_lists.basho.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Riak 1.3.1 Errors

Jared Morrow
Shane,

This bug was fixed in Riak 1.4.x in this commit https://github.com/basho/riak_pipe/pull/73 which was backported to 1.3.2 with this https://github.com/basho/riak_pipe/pull/74.  I'm not an expert on the issue itself, so I'll have to ask if those messages are something that are safe to ignore.

-Jared


On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Shane McEwan <[hidden email]> wrote:
G'day!

Nearly every day since upgrading to Riak 1.3.1 I've been seeing the following errors on random nodes:

2013-08-05 01:00:05.775 [error] <0.212.0> Supervisor riak_pipe_fitting_sup had child undefined started with riak_pipe_fitting:start_link() at <<a href="tel:0.26698.882" value="+4626698882" target="_blank">0.26698.882> exit with reason noproc in context shutdown_error

2013-08-05 14:14:35.431 [error] <0.709.0> Supervisor riak_kv_mrc_sink_sup had child undefined started with riak_kv_mrc_sink:start_link() at <<a href="tel:0.18229.970" value="+4618229970" target="_blank">0.18229.970> exit with reason noproc in context shutdown_error

What do they mean? I suspect I can ignore them as they're very similar to the "{sink_died,normal}" messages that we would occasionally get with previous versions. However, if they're not indicative of a problem why are they reported as an [error]?

Can someone shed some light on these errors?

Thanks!

Shane.

_______________________________________________
riak-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.basho.com/mailman/listinfo/riak-users_lists.basho.com


_______________________________________________
riak-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.basho.com/mailman/listinfo/riak-users_lists.basho.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Riak 1.3.1 Errors

Shane McEwan-2
Thanks Jared. I wonder why my searching didn't locate these issues on
GitHub? My Google-fu must be lacking. :-)

It doesn't seem to be causing us any problems and @beerriot's comments
on #49 seem to indicate the messages are safe to ignore so that's what
I'll do until we're ready to upgrade.

Thanks again!

On 07/08/13 00:22, Jared Morrow wrote:

> Shane,
>
> This bug was fixed in Riak 1.4.x in this commit
> https://github.com/basho/riak_pipe/pull/73 which was backported to 1.3.2
> with this https://github.com/basho/riak_pipe/pull/74.  I'm not an expert on
> the issue itself, so I'll have to ask if those messages are something that
> are safe to ignore.
>
> -Jared
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Shane McEwan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> G'day!
>>
>> Nearly every day since upgrading to Riak 1.3.1 I've been seeing the
>> following errors on random nodes:
>>
>> 2013-08-05 01:00:05.775 [error] <0.212.0> Supervisor riak_pipe_fitting_sup
>> had child undefined started with riak_pipe_fitting:start_link() at <
>> 0.26698.882> exit with reason noproc in context shutdown_error
>>
>> 2013-08-05 14:14:35.431 [error] <0.709.0> Supervisor riak_kv_mrc_sink_sup
>> had child undefined started with riak_kv_mrc_sink:start_link() at <
>> 0.18229.970> exit with reason noproc in context shutdown_error
>>
>> What do they mean? I suspect I can ignore them as they're very similar to
>> the "{sink_died,normal}" messages that we would occasionally get with
>> previous versions. However, if they're not indicative of a problem why are
>> they reported as an [error]?
>>
>> Can someone shed some light on these errors?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Shane.
>>
>> ______________________________**_________________
>> riak-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.basho.com/**mailman/listinfo/riak-users_**lists.basho.com<http://lists.basho.com/mailman/listinfo/riak-users_lists.basho.com>
>>
>

_______________________________________________
riak-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.basho.com/mailman/listinfo/riak-users_lists.basho.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Riak 1.3.1 Errors

bryan-basho
Administrator
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Shane McEwan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It doesn't seem to be causing us any problems and @beerriot's comments on
> #49 seem to indicate the messages are safe to ignore so that's what I'll do
> until we're ready to upgrade.

Indeed, the problem is harmless, other than generating log spam.
Unfortunately, while the patches that Jared mentioned address similar
errors, the specific "exit with reason noproc in context
shutdown_error" might still happen on 1.3.2 and 1.4.x. It's a race in
the shutdown monitoring logic of Erlang/OTP's 'supervisor' module (see
my last comment on riak_pipe issue #49 [1]). The fix requires more
restructuring than we had time to do for the 1.4 release. Despite the
'error' level of the log (which is set by code we don't control), the
race is harmless, and the correct logical thing (making sure the
process is dead) is happening.

-Bryan

[1] https://github.com/basho/riak_pipe/issues/49#issuecomment-17147806

_______________________________________________
riak-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.basho.com/mailman/listinfo/riak-users_lists.basho.com
Loading...