Re: How to remote load Riak onto Ubuntu 9.

Re: How to remote load Riak onto Ubuntu 9.

Zubair Quraishi
I've realised ssh ing into the remote node may be the best option, as you describe. I've blogged about an automated install for Riak 0.7.1 at:

http://riak1.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-do-i-install-riak-on-ubuntu-9.html

: something like:

apt-get clean
apt-get remove erlang-base
apt-get remove erlang

apt-get install build-essential libncurses5-dev m4
apt-get install openssl libssl-dev

cd /
wget http://erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B03.tar.gz
tar zxf otp_src_R13B03.tar.gz
cd otp_src_R13B03/
./configure
make
make install

cd /
wget http://hg.basho.com/riak/get/riak-0.7.1.tar.gz
tar xzf riak-0.7.1.tar.gz
cd riak
make all rel
export RIAK=`pwd`

cd rel/riak
bin/riak start
bin/riak-admin test

Feel free to distribute this from your web site. I will try to update this for new versions of Riak as I get them working on Ubuntu and Mac OS X.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Bryan Fink <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Zubair Quraishi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to be able to remote load Riak onto Ubuntu 9 servers which come preinstalled with Erlang. Has anyone managed to do this?

The easiest deployment strategy resembling what you suggest is:

0. All nodes in your cluster are the same OS on the same architecture
1. Build Riak via 'make rel' on one of the cluster's machines
2. "Remote load" Riak by:
  2a. scp -r rel/riak newhost:/install/path/
  2b. ssh newhost
  2c. edit /install/path/riak/etc/vm.args, to change -name
  2d. /install/path/riak/bin/riak start
  2e. /install/path/riak/bin/riak-admin join riak@oldhost

Command 2a is all you need to install Riak on the remote machine.
Command 2c is needed to get the host part of the node name to line up
with the hostname of the machine you've just installed Riak on.
Command 2d starts Riak on the new machine.  Command 2e tells that new
Riak node to join the cluster you already have running by contacting
the 'riak@oldhost' node, a member of that cluster.  You will only need
command 2e the first time you start that node - the next time you
(re)start it, it will automatically join the cluster it was part of.

-Bryan