RIAK Roadmap Workshop

Andrew.Deane

 Hi,

We are beginning to plan out the two day workshop [1]. We are thinking the first day will start with an introduction from Martin Davies, in which Martin will detail current status and the asset list.

After which we will get into project questions, such as:

Which license?

The general consensus is Apache2. We need to complete the discussion as HyperLogLog has been introduced which is GPL’d. Our thoughts are to replace HLL.

Baseline?

We have heard some discussion around where to baseline the codebase. The concern is during the demise of Basho the correct level of diligence was not applied to promotes meaning the code such as HLL has crept in.

Governance?

How are we to manage the project going forward? Our feeling is we do not need a formal body as being discussed in the slack group. We see the project going forward as a simple repo into which likeminded developers agree and contribute changes. Placing overbearing procedure and structure on what is currently a small community will dissuade other from joining and contributing.

Supporting infrastructure.

The Basho websites, github account, and mailing group are all included in the deal. We are currently supporting the mailing list, and once the deal is complete we will continue to support the Basho domains; restricting community disruption.

Roadmap

Below, in no particular order, are the items we wish to address internally. If we can all share our lists we can come to an agreed community roadmap between us.

·         Review / rationalisation of Basho JIRA tickets / git issues

·         Replication

o    Address known issues (30+) to add stability

o    Selective replication

o    Persistent realtime queue

o    Review of general approach

§  In / out of band

§  Snapshot vs deltas

·         General

o    Address known issues (20+) to add stability

o    Silent data loss bug in riak_kv

·         Enhancements

o    G Sets

o    Big Sets

o    CRDT Maps

o    Async read / write vnodes

o    Split backend vnodes

o    Head requests – don’t return body to co-ordinator

o    Rudimentary indexing (leverage TS work)

·         Consolidation / feature cross population of KV,CS, and TS codebases

·         Erlang / OTP upgrade

At this point we want to keep the structure of the day loose to allow the conversations to flow, our collective priorities to take precedence.

The sessions will be live streamed, with details to follow.

We will also man IRC / Slack for discourse.

Food and refreshments will be provided throughout the two days.

Hopefully this gives us something to discuss in the build up to the 12th Oct. We’re looking for everyone’s input so we can hit the ground running.

As a quick update on the status of the purchase. We have exchanged funds and the court process continues. One clarifying point for anyone following the court proceedings. The purchasing company is our technology arm, Hillside Technology Limited, not the bet365 group.

Thanks,

Andy.

[1] https://www.meetup.com/RIAK-Development-Roadmap-Workshop/events/243302656/

Andrew Deane

Systems Development Manager - Middleware

Hillside (Technology) Limited

[hidden email]

bet365.com

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain information which may be privileged or confidential and are intended solely to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by telephone or email immediately and delete it from your system. Activity and use of our email system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Internet emails are not necessarily secure. We do not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. You are advised to scan this message for viruses and we cannot accept liability for any loss or damage which may be caused as a result of any computer virus.

This email is sent by a bet365 group entity. The bet365 group includes the following entities: Hillside (Shared Services) Limited (registration no. 3958393), Hillside (Spain New Media) Plc (registration no. 07833226), bet365 Group Limited (registration no. 4241161), Hillside (Technology) Limited (registration no. 8273456), Hillside (Media Services) Limited (registration no. 9171710), Hillside (Trader Services) Limited (registration no. 9171598) each registered in England and Wales with a registered office address at bet365 House, Media Way, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 5SZ, United Kingdom; Hillside (Gibraltar) Limited (registration no. 97927), Hillside (Sports) GP Limited (registration no. 111829) and Hillside (Gaming) GP Limited (registered no. 111830) each registered in Gibraltar with a registered office address at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar; Hillside (UK Sports) LP (registration no. 117), Hillside (Sports) LP (registration no. 118), Hillside (International Sports) LP (registration no. 119), Hillside (Gaming) LP (registration no. 120) and Hillside (International Gaming) LP (registration no. 121) each registered in Gibraltar with a principal place of business at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar; Hillside España Leisure S.A (CIF no. A86340270) registered in Spain with a registered office address at C/ Conde de Aranda nº20, 2º, 28001 Madrid, Spain; Hillside (Australia New Media) Pty Limited (registration no. 148 920 665) registered in Australia with a registered office address at Level 4, 90 Arthur Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060, Australia; Hillside (New Media Malta) Plc, (registration no c.66039) registered in Malta with a registered office address at Office 1/2373, Level G, Quantum House, 75 Abate Rigord Street, Ta’ Xbiex XBX 1120, Malta and Hillside (New Media Cyprus) Limited, (registration no. HE 361612) registered in Cyprus with a registered office address at Omrania Centre, 313, 28th October Avenue, 3105 Limassol, Cyprus. Hillside (Shared Services) Limited, Hillside (Spain New Media) Plc and Hillside (New Media Malta) Plc also have places of business at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar. For residents of Greece, this email is sent on behalf of B2B Gaming Services (Malta) Limited (registration number C41936) organised under the laws of Malta with a registered office at Apartment 21, Suite 41, Charles Court, St. Luke's Road, Pietà, Malta.

Re: RIAK Roadmap Workshop

Russell Brown-4
Hi,
I don’t want to hijack the thread, thanks for posting the roadmap, I hope all other interested parties can do the same. It’s going to be a very valuable meet up and I look forward to attending.

However, I’m sorry for being a picky picky pedant but I worked with the guy who built the HLL feature, and it is a thorough, diligent, and professional feature added as part of the release cycle. I was concerned about the GPL dependancy (Proper) but after some investigation it looks like it is OK since it is not shipped with Riak or linked in anyway, instead it is a test only dependancy brought in by the dependancy on Hyper (but we should still get more clarification there.) But the HLL work itself is top drawer, thoroughly tested, and reviewed (perhaps more so than many Riak features.)

I do think that in the develop and unreleased branches there is probably questionable code that isn’t yet production ready, but I need to defend the HLL work. It's good work. It’s my fault that you’ve got the wrong end of the stick about the HLL work because of my concerns over the GPL dependancy. Sorry.

Cheers

Russell

On 22 Sep 2017, at 14:56, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
> This email is sent by a bet365 group entity. The bet365 group includes the following entities: Hillside (Shared Services) Limited (registration no. 3958393), Hillside (Spain New Media) Plc (registration no. 07833226), bet365 Group Limited (registration no. 4241161), Hillside (Technology) Limited (registration no. 8273456), Hillside (Media Services) Limited (registration no. 9171710), Hillside (Trader Services) Limited (registration no. 9171598) each registered in England and Wales with a registered office address at bet365 House, Media Way, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 5SZ, United Kingdom; Hillside (Gibraltar) Limited (registration no. 97927), Hillside (Sports) GP Limited (registration no. 111829) and Hillside (Gaming) GP Limited (registered no. 111830) each registered in Gibraltar with a registered office address at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar; Hillside (UK Sports) LP (registration no. 117), Hillside (Sports) LP (registration no. 118), Hillside (International Sports) LP (registration no. 119), Hillside (Gaming) LP (registration no. 120) and Hillside (International Gaming) LP (registration no. 121) each registered in Gibraltar with a principal place of business at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar; Hillside España Leisure S.A (CIF no. A86340270) registered in Spain with a registered office address at C/ Conde de Aranda nº20, 2º, 28001 Madrid, Spain; Hillside (Australia New Media) Pty Limited (registration no. 148 920 665) registered in Australia with a registered office address at Level 4, 90 Arthur Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060, Australia; Hillside (New Media Malta) Plc, (registration no c.66039) registered in Malta with a registered office address at Office 1/2373, Level G, Quantum House, 75 Abate Rigord Street, Ta’ Xbiex XBX 1120, Malta and Hillside (New Media Cyprus) Limited, (registration no. HE 361612) registered in Cyprus with a registered office address at Omrania Centre, 313, 28th October Avenue, 3105 Limassol, Cyprus. Hillside (Shared Services) Limited, Hillside (Spain New Media) Plc and Hillside (New Media Malta) Plc also have places of business at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar. For residents of Greece, this email is sent on behalf of B2B Gaming Services (Malta) Limited (registration number C41936) organised under the laws of Malta with a registered office at Apartment 21, Suite 41, Charles Court, St. Luke's Road, Pietà, Malta. _______________________________________________

Thanks Russ.

I wasn't passing comment on any of the HLL work, only the GPL dep.

> [...]

This email is sent by a bet365 group entity. The bet365 group includes the following entities: Hillside (Shared Services) Limited (registration no. 3958393), Hillside (Spain New Media) Plc (registration no. 07833226), bet365 Group Limited (registration no. 4241161), Hillside (Technology) Limited (registration no. 8273456), Hillside (Media Services) Limited (registration no. 9171710), Hillside (Trader Services) Limited (registration no. 9171598) each registered in England and Wales with a registered office address at bet365 House, Media Way, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 5SZ, United Kingdom; Hillside (Gibraltar) Limited (registration no. 97927), Hillside (Sports) GP Limited (registration no. 111829) and Hillside (Gaming) GP Limited (registered no. 111830) each registered in Gibraltar with a registered office address at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar; Hillside (UK Sports) LP (registration no. 117), Hillside (Sports) LP (registration no. 118), Hillside (International Sports) LP (registration no. 119), Hillside (Gaming) LP (registration no. 120) and Hillside (International Gaming) LP (registration no. 121) each registered in Gibraltar with a principal place of business at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar; Hillside España Leisure S.A (CIF no. A86340270) registered in Spain with a registered office address at C/ Conde de Aranda nº20, 2º, 28001 Madrid, Spain; Hillside (Australia New Media) Pty Limited (registration no. 148 920 665) registered in Australia with a registered office address at Level 4, 90 Arthur Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060, Australia; Hillside (New Media Malta) Plc, (registration no c.66039) registered in Malta with a registered office address at Office 1/2373, Level G, Quantum House, 75 Abate Rigord Street, Ta’ Xbiex XBX 1120, Malta and Hillside (New Media Cyprus) Limited, (registration no. HE 361612) registered in Cyprus with a registered office address at Omrania Centre, 313, 28th October Avenue, 3105 Limassol, Cyprus. Hillside (Shared Services) Limited, Hillside (Spain New Media) Plc and Hillside (New Media Malta) Plc also have places of business at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar. For residents of Greece, this email is sent on behalf of B2B Gaming Services (Malta) Limited (registration number C41936) organised under the laws of Malta with a registered office at Apartment 21, Suite 41, Charles Court, St. Luke's Road, Pietà, Malta.

Cool, thanks Andy.

On 22 Sep 2017, at 18:14, [hidden email] wrote:

> Thanks Russ.
>
> I wasn't passing comment on any of the HLL work, only the GPL dep.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy.
>

> Andrew Deane
> Systems Development Manager - Middleware
> Hillside (Technology) Limited
> [hidden email]
> bet365.com

Fred Dushin-2
Thank you, Andrew, and Bet365 for hosting this event, and for shepherding Riak through these difficult times.

I will not be able to attend, but under enhancements, I would encourage the group to discuss the late enhancements to Riak/KV to support efficient bucket and key listing for sorted back ends.  This work can be found on the develop and develop-2.2 branches of riak_kv; it was not formally shipped in any Basho production releases, but listing buckets has seen some testing (and the code changes are relatively small).

Listing buckets in time proportional to the number of buckets (not the number of keys in the cluster), and keys in a bucket proportional to the number of keys in the bucket (not the number of keys in the cluster) seems like a laudable goal for which I am sure customers would find use cases.  Key listing has always been an operation known to kill large clusters, and the advice has always been, "don't do that", despite its obvious utility.  With these changes, that advice can be dropped for a subset of users.

-Fred

On Sep 22, 2017, at 9:56 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Hi Fred,

I wasn't aware of this work. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. We’ve been in similar positions before where it was unavoidable to use a “db scan”. This certainly merits review.

Thanks,

Andy.

Andrew Deane

Systems Development Manager - Middleware

Hillside (Technology) Limited

[hidden email]

bet365.com

Re: RIAK Roadmap Workshop

Mark Allen
I also wanted to raise the profile on the work that Ted worked on providing substantially better visibility and control into the tasks which vnodes are asked to schedule, execute and return from:

This is the WIP tracking branch with the design, prototype code, etc.  This is an important effort to able to track "bad queries" from consuming an entire node's worth of resources.

On Saturday, September 23, 2017, 2:32:35 AM GMT+1, Fred Dushin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bryan Hunt-2

There is also the question of the carray implementation : - https://github.com/basho/hyper/blob/master/c_src/hyper_carray.c

This code is LGPL - I know GPL is incompatible with Apache 2 license.

I don't know what the implications are for mixing LGPL and Apache 2.

Can anyone clarify? It's a shame we weren't able to get a dual licensing agreement from the original authors - would have made things much simpler.

Bryan

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 18:55 Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> This email is sent by a bet365 group entity. The bet365 group includes the following entities: Hillside (Shared Services) Limited (registration no. 3958393), Hillside (Spain New Media) Plc (registration no. 07833226), bet365 Group Limited (registration no. 4241161), Hillside (Technology) Limited (registration no. 8273456), Hillside (Media Services) Limited (registration no. 9171710), Hillside (Trader Services) Limited (registration no. 9171598) each registered in England and Wales with a registered office address at bet365 House, Media Way, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 5SZ, United Kingdom; Hillside (Gibraltar) Limited (registration no. 97927), Hillside (Sports) GP Limited (registration no. 111829) and Hillside (Gaming) GP Limited (registered no. 111830) each registered in Gibraltar with a registered office address at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar; Hillside (UK Sports) LP (registration no. 117), Hillside (Sports) LP (registration no. 118), Hillside (International Sports) LP (registration no. 119), Hillside (Gaming) LP (registration no. 120) and Hillside (International Gaming) LP (registration no. 121) each registered in Gibraltar with a principal place of business at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar; Hillside España Leisure S.A (CIF no. A86340270) registered in Spain with a registered office address at C/ Conde de Aranda nº20, 2º, 28001 Madrid, Spain; Hillside (Australia New Media) Pty Limited (registration no. 148 920 665) registered in Australia with a registered office address at Level 4, 90 Arthur Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060, Australia; Hillside (New Media Malta) Plc, (registration no c.66039) registered in Malta with a registered office address at Office 1/2373, Level G, Quantum House, 75 Abate Rigord Street, Ta’ Xbiex XBX 1120, Malta and Hillside (New Media Cyprus) Limited, (registration no. HE 361612) registered in Cyprus with a registered office address at Omrania Centre, 313, 28th October Avenue, 3105 Limassol, Cyprus. Hillside (Shared Services) Limited, Hillside (Spain New Media) Plc and Hillside (New Media Malta) Plc also have places of business at Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar. For residents of Greece, this email is sent on behalf of B2B Gaming Services (Malta) Limited (registration number C41936) organised under the laws of Malta with a registered office at Apartment 21, Suite 41, Charles Court, St. Luke's Road, Pietà, Malta. _______________________________________________

Jean Parpaillon
Hi all,
Thanks for taking over riak management.
I am strongly commited to the success of this take over as we intensively use riak for our customers solutions.
Arnaud Wetzel, founder and CTO of KBRW, the company I'm actually working for, has been contributing to riak but, due the lack of visibility on the roadmap, we have also been maintaining our own build of riak.
Precisely, we use 3 flavours of riak:
* our own build, based on riak 1.1, with additional patches: for instance, https://github.com/basho/merge_index/pull/32
* a vanilla riak 2.2
* riak TS 1.3.0

As many of us, I suppose, we are really interested in sharing the efforts on riak and want to contribute to it.

In a few words, by the past, we (ie Arnaud Wetzel :) ), has contributed to the following features that are now integrated upstream:
* IPV6 support (mainly through BEAM)
* Cassandra search algorithm integration into riak_search (pending pull request)
* geoloc search, now merged into SOLR
* Symfony bundle for riak (yeah, some use it :) )

Regarding the license, we also agree on Apache 2, and would like to avoid GPL.

Regarding the governance, we support the following points:
* limit community disruption
* looking out how to mitigate the roadmap uncertainty and lack of transparency of the recent period.
We are convinced that a better balance between community and business should help to avoid this issue.

I need now to introduce myself with my other hat of OW2 consortium chairman. This organization aims at supporting open source projects providing:
* supporting infrastructure: gitlab, continuous integration, mailing lists, etc (in case project need them)
* maturity assesment tools
* best practices and governance guidelines to help reaching it
* logistic support with a strong presence into international conferences, dedicated booths for our corporate members, etc

I would be glad to join the meeting at Bet365 facilities to discussing these points.

Regards,
Jean

--
Senior Developper @ KBRW Adventure
Chairman @ OW2 Consortium

Re: RIAK Roadmap Workshop

Russell Brown-4
Hi,
Interesting to hear about forks out there running in production.

WRT the meet-up, things we’d be happy to talk about/like to discuss if there’s time on the agenda. We’d be able to give talks/lead discussions on these topics:

- Repl, Rabl, AAE, and Fullsync
- Leveled
- New indexing and querying and the future CRDT work
- A review of the estate from the NHS POV (tech debt, OTP20, Build and release etc)

Cheers

Russell