RAID 0 stripe size

B. Todd Burruss
has anyone performed any testing on the affect of RAID 0 stripe size on riak performance?  i have 3 drives in RAID 0 setup with 128k stripe size and i think the performance can be better once the database starts to grow.

any advice?

wde

Re: RAID 0 stripe size

wde
I don't think that we can answer to this kind of question easily :

It depends of your I/O profile
It depends of the storage backend
it depends of the the manner of the I/O are written to disk
it depends of the OS configuration
it depends of the hardware

I think that the best way is to bench and monitor in your environment

>has anyone performed any testing on the affect of RAID 0 stripe size on
>riak performance?  i have 3 drives in RAID 0 setup with 128k stripe size
>and i think the performance can be better once the database starts to
>grow.
>
>any advice?

Re: RAID 0 stripe size

B. Todd Burruss
i am using riak's innodb storage.  and i am trying to improve PUT performance, which is over 100ms on my machine.  the machines i have are server grade 1u machines from HP (not something off fry's shelf) with RAID controller in PCIe slot.

but in general, i disagree with your statement.  striping is a factor of file size it seems and riak is control of the storage mechanism, it is their application.  i'm not sure how innodb and riak are behaving once riak has control over the PUT.

i can say that i'm writing 4k +/- 1k values to riak, but the innodb files my data is being stored in are gigabytes upon gigabytes .  i can also say i want it faster than fast!  as fast as possible!  i want to stress the holy hell out of the thing :)  how much I/O can i throw at riak with the proper RAID setup.

my intuition tells me that a larger stripe size might improve performance since the data files are huge.