Querying SOLR outside of Riak

Alex De la rosa
Hi all,

If I want to create a Disco cluster [ http://discoproject.org ] to build statistics and compile data attacking Riak's SOLR directly without using Riak, how can I do it?

In this way, I would leave Riak mainly for data IO (post/get) and leave the heavy duty of searching and compiling data to Disco; so Riak's performance shouldn't be affected for searching as mainly it will store and retrieve data only.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Querying SOLR outside of Riak

Vitaly
There is, you can query Solr directly via HTTP, at least as of Riak 2.0.x

Have a look at http://<riak_node>:8093/internal_solr/#/ and http://docs.basho.com/riak/kv/2.1.4/developing/usage/search/#querying

Vitaly

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Alex De la rosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nobody knows if there is a way to access SOLR right away without going through RIAK's interface?

Thanks,
Alex

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Alex De la rosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

If I want to create a Disco cluster [ http://discoproject.org ] to build statistics and compile data attacking Riak's SOLR directly without using Riak, how can I do it?

In this way, I would leave Riak mainly for data IO (post/get) and leave the heavy duty of searching and compiling data to Disco; so Riak's performance shouldn't be affected for searching as mainly it will store and retrieve data only.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Querying SOLR outside of Riak

Alex De la rosa
Hi Vitaly,

I know that you can access search via HTTP through Riak like this:

I didn't find documentation about this, but according to your words I could access SOLR directly like this?

If I go through "8098/search" would it be adding extra stress into the Riak cluster? Or is recommended to go through "8098/search" instead of "8093/internal_solr"??

I just want to see if I can make use of SOLR with an external mapreduce platform (Disco) without giving extra stress to Riak.

Thanks,
Rohman

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Vitaly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind that the /search endpoint returns consolidated results (i.e. a query runs over all nodes of a cluster), while /internal_solr is only for the node you run it on.

I'm not sure what you mean by "extra stress", as running queries is exactly what the /search endpoint is meant for. Having said that, I would think that any activity can add stress, you should measure what kind of stress your system creates, and plan your cluster accordingly.

Regards,
Vitaly

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Alex De la rosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think is just my fear of querying Riak... I had bad experiences in the past with Riak 0.14 and Riak 1.4 when searching with MapReduce, Search or 2-i... nodes crashing, etc... so I try to avoid searching as much as possible.

Maybe my fear is not justified anymore on Riak 2.0 and is search via SOLR... but still... I want to avoid issues on searching.

So my thinking was that if I can query the SOLR index itself without Riak even noticing, then I can leave Riak simply to put/get data and the searching would be done by Disco hitting SOLR itself... no extra work for Riak on searching anything.

Thanks,
Alex

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Vitaly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John O'Brien-2

Technically speaking, /search runs against the cluster plan, not all nodes right?

We actually steal the cluster plan every n searches, then use that to search directly against the solr nodes...

That being said, banging on solr will have an effect on kv from our experience.. YMMV.

On May 15, 2016 4:49 AM, "Vitaly" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fred Dushin
Hi Alex,

Other people have chimed in, but let me repeat that while the internal_solr interface is accessible via HTTP (and needs to be, at least from Riak processes), you cannot use that interface to query Solr and expect a correct result set (unless you are using a single node cluster with an n_val of 1).

When you run your queries through Riak, Yokozuna, the component that interfaces with Solr, will use a riak_core coverage plan to generate a distributed Solr filter query across the entire cluster that guarantees that for any document stored on all Solr nodes in the cluster, the query will select one (and only one) replica.  If you were to run your query locally using the internal_solr interface, your query would not span the cluster (likely missing documents on other nodes) and may have duplicates (e.g., in degenerate cases where you have more than one replica on the same node).

I hope that helps explain why using the internal_solr interface is not only not recommended, it's also not going to give you the results you expect.

-Fred

On May 15, 2016, at 4:18 AM, Alex De la rosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Fred,

Yeah, I realised that on my testing node with n_val of 3 I was getting the triple of results in the count... that is not ideal.

I was just concerned on how much extra-work would get Riak to talk with SOLR and compile data against hitting SOLR directly... For my tests these days, seems the /search interface is pretty fast and it may not be a real problem for Riak... but still have my fears from Riak 0.14 an Riak 1.4

Thanks,
Alex

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Fred Dushin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Luke Bakken
Hi Alex,

Benchmarking is the only sure way to know if you need to add this
additional complexity to your system for your own use-case or if
search in Riak 2.0 will suffice. I suspect the latter will be true.

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Alex De la rosa
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> Yeah, I realised that on my testing node with n_val of 3 I was getting the
> triple of results in the count... that is not ideal.
>
> I was just concerned on how much extra-work would get Riak to talk with SOLR
> and compile data against hitting SOLR directly... For my tests these days,
> seems the /search interface is pretty fast and it may not be a real problem
> for Riak... but still have my fears from Riak 0.14 an Riak 1.4
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Fred Dushin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Other people have chimed in, but let me repeat that while the
>> internal_solr interface is accessible via HTTP (and needs to be, at least
>> from Riak processes), you cannot use that interface to query Solr and expect
>> a correct result set (unless you are using a single node cluster with an
>> n_val of 1).
>>
>> When you run your queries through Riak, Yokozuna, the component that
>> interfaces with Solr, will use a riak_core coverage plan to generate a
>> distributed Solr filter query across the entire cluster that guarantees that
>> for any document stored on all Solr nodes in the cluster, the query will
>> select one (and only one) replica.  If you were to run your query locally
>> using the internal_solr interface, your query would not span the cluster
>> (likely missing documents on other nodes) and may have duplicates (e.g., in
>> degenerate cases where you have more than one replica on the same node).
>>
>> I hope that helps explain why using the internal_solr interface is not
>> only not recommended, it's also not going to give you the results you
>> expect.
>>
>> -Fred

Re: Querying SOLR outside of Riak

Alex De la rosa
Hi Luke,

Yes, I think I will go with /search instead; should be enough.

Thanks,
Alex

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Fred,
>
> Yeah, I realised that on my testing node with n_val of 3 I was getting the
> triple of results in the count... that is not ideal.
>
> I was just concerned on how much extra-work would get Riak to talk with SOLR
> and compile data against hitting SOLR directly... For my tests these days,
> seems the /search interface is pretty fast and it may not be a real problem
> for Riak... but still have my fears from Riak 0.14 an Riak 1.4
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Fred Dushin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Other people have chimed in, but let me repeat that while the
>> internal_solr interface is accessible via HTTP (and needs to be, at least
>> from Riak processes), you cannot use that interface to query Solr and expect
>> a correct result set (unless you are using a single node cluster with an
>> n_val of 1).
>>
>> When you run your queries through Riak, Yokozuna, the component that
>> interfaces with Solr, will use a riak_core coverage plan to generate a
>> distributed Solr filter query across the entire cluster that guarantees that
>> for any document stored on all Solr nodes in the cluster, the query will
>> select one (and only one) replica.  If you were to run your query locally
>> using the internal_solr interface, your query would not span the cluster
>> (likely missing documents on other nodes) and may have duplicates (e.g., in
>> degenerate cases where you have more than one replica on the same node).
>>
>> I hope that helps explain why using the internal_solr interface is not
>> only not recommended, it's also not going to give you the results you
>> expect.
>>
>> -Fred

Re: Querying SOLR outside of Riak

Jean Chassoul
Hi Luke,

great advice, reminds me of what Joe Armstrong say from time to time: measure don't guess.

(=