Problem with Solr Search

Nguyễn Văn Nghĩa Em
Dear All,

I use Riak for my company's production, this is my environment:
- Server: cluster of 5 Riak nodes.
- Each node have the same hardware resource: c4.2xlarge amazon instance
- Riak version: 2.1.1
- Backend: Bitcask
- Search enabled via yokozuna
- Bucket type setting:
young_vclock: 20
w: quorum
small_vclock: 50
rw: quorum
r: quorum
pw: 0
precommit: []
pr: 0
postcommit: []
old_vclock: 86400
notfound_ok: true
n_val: 3
linkfun: {modfun,riak_kv_wm_link_walker,mapreduce_linkfun}
last_write_wins: false
dw: quorum
dvv_enabled: true
chash_keyfun: {riak_core_util,chash_std_keyfun}
big_vclock: 50
basic_quorum: false
backend: <<"bitcask_mult">>
allow_mult: true
datatype: map
active: true

I have met some problems:
1. Create search index with error: "Can not create search index on all nodes". This error appear after 30 seconds timeout. I opened the index folder in /var/lib/riak/yz, I found that there are some folder without core.properties file. I don't know whether it is normal or not.

2. When I make a searching load test with Riak Benchmark tool with about 1000 Request Per second. I see about 5-10% error which relate to "Failed to search". But when I make a load test with Solr HTTP API, the throuput is about 2000 Request Per Second without any error. It may be the problem in Riak config. I hope someone can show me why this error happend

Thanks for any help.

Re: Problem with Solr Search

Fred Dushin

On Mar 30, 2017, at 12:58 AM, Nguyễn Văn Nghĩa Em <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have met some problems:
1. Create search index with error: "Can not create search index on all nodes". This error appear after 30 seconds timeout. I opened the index folder in /var/lib/riak/yz, I found that there are some folder without core.properties file. I don't know whether it is normal or not.

Need to get to the bottom of this, before doing any performance testing.  If you don't have an search index on a node, you will not get reliable search results.

I would check to make sure Solr is running properly on the nodes on which you are not finding the index.  If you look at the logic for creating a local index [1], you should see some checks to see if the index is in metadata or on disk.  You should see some entries in the logs that will show either success or errors on creation.  Check the error logs, to ensure you are not getting errors communicating with Solr.

Also, note that 2.1.1 is fairly old.  Significant improvement with batching and asynchronous writes to Solr were added in Riak 2.2, and the latest release of the 2.2 branch is 2.2.2.

-Fred