PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Jérôme Verstrynge
Hi,

I am very new to Riak and I am reading what I can find on the web. I
have noticed two presentation available at:

    http://www.slideshare.net/hemulen/introducing-riak
    http://www.slideshare.net/seancribbs/schema-design-for-riak

Unfortunately, when I tried to download them, I get a .KEY file, which
is Mac specific. I am on Vista 7. There does not seem to be any tools
available to convert these to PDF or PPT. OpenOffice (which is capable
of opening many many types of file) does not seem to be able to read
.key files.

Is it possible to get a PDF version of these? Or can they be made
available somewhere online? It would lower the barrier to entry for
new-comers.

My other question/remark is: there does not seem to be a downloadable
version of Riak for Windows. Is there a technical reason for this or is
it a 'religious' issue? I am not especially pro or against Windows, but
not providing a version for it amounts to alienating from a large part
of the community who might be interested in Riak. It is another barrier
to entry for the development of this technology.

Thanks,

JVerstry

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Jeremiah Peschka
I originally replied only to Jérôme by mistake... here's the original

I've converted them to PDF and uploaded to my S3 account. Enjoy!

Jeremiah Peschka
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
MCITP: Database Developer, DBA

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Jérôme Verstrynge <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello, Jérôme.

It looks like Jeremiah has already answered one of your questions, so
I'll get the other.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Jérôme Verstrynge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My other question/remark is: there does not seem to be a downloadable
> version of Riak for Windows. Is there a technical reason for this or is it a
> 'religious' issue?

There's certainly no operating system religion at work here, simply
the limited resources of a small team.  A few different people in the
community have been working on Windows support, which we think is a
great idea -- we just currently don't have anyone spare to make
official windows releases, QA and benchmark those releases on various
windows systems, and so on.

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

OJ Reeves
As someone who has to spend most of their time in Windows at the moment, I'd like to just add my view.

For the sake of development and testing, I have found that running a number of Riak nodes in a Linux VM on my Windows desktop is as fast, if not faster, than talking to other databases (such as SQL Server and MySQL) with native installations. The time and effort to set this up is also comparable.

As far as production deployments are concerned I would be happy (if not prefer) to fire up Linux servers to run my Riak nodes instead of Windows. Partly because of the cost involved, partly for other reasons such as overhead.

In short, don't let the lack of Windows support put you off. You can still have a great time with Riak even if your main OS is Windows. I've not found it to be a barrier at all.

Just my $0.02 :) All the best with your experiments.

OJ

http://buffered.io/

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Jeremiah Peschka
A short to medium term fix might be to go the route of some other database vendors and create a linux VM that can be used in VMWare VPlayer. If I had VMWare, I'd go about doing this, but my VM tools are Mac only...

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM, OJ Reeves <[hidden email]> wrote:
As someone who has to spend most of their time in Windows at the moment, I'd like to just add my view.

For the sake of development and testing, I have found that running a number of Riak nodes in a Linux VM on my Windows desktop is as fast, if not faster, than talking to other databases (such as SQL Server and MySQL) with native installations. The time and effort to set this up is also comparable.

As far as production deployments are concerned I would be happy (if not prefer) to fire up Linux servers to run my Riak nodes instead of Windows. Partly because of the cost involved, partly for other reasons such as overhead.

In short, don't let the lack of Windows support put you off. You can still have a great time with Riak even if your main OS is Windows. I've not found it to be a barrier at all.

Just my $0.02 :) All the best with your experiments.

OJ

On 6 January 2011 10:53, Justin Sheehy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, Jérôme.

It looks like Jeremiah has already answered one of your questions, so
I'll get the other.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Jérôme Verstrynge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My other question/remark is: there does not seem to be a downloadable
> version of Riak for Windows. Is there a technical reason for this or is it a
> 'religious' issue?

There's certainly no operating system religion at work here, simply
the limited resources of a small team.  A few different people in the
community have been working on Windows support, which we think is a
great idea -- we just currently don't have anyone spare to make
official windows releases, QA and benchmark those releases on various
windows systems, and so on.

OJ Reeves
http://buffered.io/

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

OJ Reeves
I'm happy to help out with this. VirtualBox might be a good option given that:

Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and OpenSolaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), Solaris and OpenSolaris, and OpenBSD.

I'm using this myself at the moment and would be happy to help set up VMs for each Riak release, should that be what the community (and Basho) would like to see. If everyone can pick a distro and a preferred setup, I can (attempt to) put it together.

+1 for the suggestion Jeremiah.

OJ

On 6 January 2011 11:10, Jeremiah Peschka <[hidden email]> wrote:
A short to medium term fix might be to go the route of some other database vendors and create a linux VM that can be used in VMWare VPlayer. If I had VMWare, I'd go about doing this, but my VM tools are Mac only...

Jeremiah Peschka
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
MCITP: Database Developer, DBA

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM, OJ Reeves <[hidden email]> wrote:
As someone who has to spend most of their time in Windows at the moment, I'd like to just add my view.

For the sake of development and testing, I have found that running a number of Riak nodes in a Linux VM on my Windows desktop is as fast, if not faster, than talking to other databases (such as SQL Server and MySQL) with native installations. The time and effort to set this up is also comparable.

As far as production deployments are concerned I would be happy (if not prefer) to fire up Linux servers to run my Riak nodes instead of Windows. Partly because of the cost involved, partly for other reasons such as overhead.

In short, don't let the lack of Windows support put you off. You can still have a great time with Riak even if your main OS is Windows. I've not found it to be a barrier at all.

Just my $0.02 :) All the best with your experiments.

OJ

On 6 January 2011 10:53, Justin Sheehy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, Jérôme.

It looks like Jeremiah has already answered one of your questions, so
I'll get the other.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Jérôme Verstrynge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My other question/remark is: there does not seem to be a downloadable
> version of Riak for Windows. Is there a technical reason for this or is it a
> 'religious' issue?

There's certainly no operating system religion at work here, simply
the limited resources of a small team.  A few different people in the
community have been working on Windows support, which we think is a
great idea -- we just currently don't have anyone spare to make
official windows releases, QA and benchmark those releases on various
windows systems, and so on.

OJ Reeves
http://buffered.io/

OJ Reeves
http://buffered.io/

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Joel Pitt-2
On 6 January 2011 08:53, Justin Sheehy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's certainly no operating system religion at work here, simply
> the limited resources of a small team.  A few different people in the
> community have been working on Windows support, which we think is a
> great idea -- we just currently don't have anyone spare to make
> official windows releases, QA and benchmark those releases on various
> windows systems, and so on.

Given the amount of time I've spent trying to deal with the
eccentricities of file locking in windows, I suggest caution as there
lies dragons.

Obviously it's *possible*, and I'm guessing Windows developers with
file-system experience probably laugh at my caution, but for anything
involving lots of file handles when you're used to *nix, be aware that
it's non-trivial. Although I guess this would only really affect
bitcask.

Although after googling about this issue, the wikipedia page would
have been immensely helpful to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_locking#In_Microsoft_Windows

But don't let me discourage anybody wanting to give it a go ;-)

Joel Pitt, PhD | http://ferrouswheel.me | +852 6683 9980
M-Lab AI Project and OpenCog Developer | http://opencog.org

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Kyle Quest
I have an experimental Riak build for Windows... There's still some
work that needs to be done though. My goal is to make Riak run on
Azure, but if others are interested in running Riak on Windows I'll
share my Windows binaries (once they are ready for public
consumption). Let me know...

Regards,
Kyle

> My other question/remark is: there does not seem to be a downloadable
> version of Riak for Windows. Is there a technical reason for this or is it a
> 'religious' issue? I am not especially pro or against Windows, but not
> providing a version for it amounts to alienating from a large part of the
> community who might be interested in Riak. It is another barrier to entry
> for the development of this technology.

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Mark Phillips-4
Hey Kyle,

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Kyle Quest <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have an experimental Riak build for Windows... There's still some
> work that needs to be done though. My goal is to make Riak run on
> Azure, but if others are interested in running Riak on Windows I'll
> share my Windows binaries (once they are ready for public
> consumption). Let me know...

Definitely share those binaries once you think they are ready for the
spotlight. There are numerous parties who are interested in building
Riak on Windows and, as Justin pointed out above, Basho's resources
are a bit constrained at the moment, so any help we (and the
community) could get in this respect would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Timothy Perrett
Oh interesting :-)

In addition, I heard that Riak had also been made to run on Erjang; if that were the case you could in theory already run it on windows via the JVM. Really must find time to try this...

Cheers, Tim

On 7 Jan 2011, at 07:48, Mark Phillips wrote:

> Hey Kyle,
>
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Kyle Quest <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have an experimental Riak build for Windows... There's still some
>> work that needs to be done though. My goal is to make Riak run on
>> Azure, but if others are interested in running Riak on Windows I'll
>> share my Windows binaries (once they are ready for public
>> consumption). Let me know...
>>

> Definitely share those binaries once you think they are ready for the
> spotlight. There are numerous parties who are interested in building
> Riak on Windows and, as Justin pointed out above, Basho's resources
> are a bit constrained at the moment, so any help we (and the
> community) could get in this respect would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Kyle Quest
Erjang is a nice and fun toy, but it's too much of a hack to be useful
for Riak. If you want to use a JVM-based language try Scala and leave
Erlang as is :-) One of the main problems with porting Riak to other
platforms is not Erlang itself, but the C/C++ code Riak uses through
port drivers and NIFs. Using a JVM won't help there...

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Timothy Perrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh interesting :-)
>
> In addition, I heard that Riak had also been made to run on Erjang; if that were the case you could in theory already run it on windows via the JVM. Really must find time to try this...
>
> Cheers, Tim
>
> On 7 Jan 2011, at 07:48, Mark Phillips wrote:
>
>> Hey Kyle,
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Kyle Quest <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I have an experimental Riak build for Windows... There's still some
>>> work that needs to be done though. My goal is to make Riak run on
>>> Azure, but if others are interested in running Riak on Windows I'll
>>> share my Windows binaries (once they are ready for public
>>> consumption). Let me know...
>>>

>> Definitely share those binaries once you think they are ready for the
>> spotlight. There are numerous parties who are interested in building
>> Riak on Windows and, as Justin pointed out above, Basho's resources
>> are a bit constrained at the moment, so any help we (and the
>> community) could get in this respect would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Kyle Quest
The build process for Riak on Windows is not yet streamlined because
of the spidermonkey JS libraries for the erlang_js component that need
to be built separately using a different build setup. The C code for
the bitcask component required quite a few changes to the file I/O
code, so it's still not clear what kind of side effects it will
produce. If others can participate in the testing process that would
be definitely helpful because I assume a few performance issues and
bugs will show up here and there :-)

I'm wrapping up a number of left over tasks from the previous quarter,
so I'll be working on the initial testing shortly to see how much work
still has to be done.

> Definitely share those binaries once you think they are ready for the
> spotlight. There are numerous parties who are interested in building
> Riak on Windows and, as Justin pointed out above, Basho's resources
> are a bit constrained at the moment, so any help we (and the
> community) could get in this respect would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Timothy Perrett
Hey,

During JavaZone last year I spoke with Kresten about Erjang, and he claimed that despite the native code that many Erlang projects use, he was still seeing success using it (the details escape me now) and even did a live benchmark of it outperforming the BeamVM. Crazy stuff indeed.

But either-way, my note was more about "isn't this interesting future possibility" rather than "it would be better than native"... obviously having windows binaries would be awesome and I would actually really like to see that happen :-)

Cheers, Tim

On 7 Jan 2011, at 16:12, Kyle Quest wrote:

> Erjang is a nice and fun toy, but it's too much of a hack to be useful
> for Riak. If you want to use a JVM-based language try Scala and leave
> Erlang as is :-) One of the main problems with porting Riak to other
> platforms is not Erlang itself, but the C/C++ code Riak uses through
> port drivers and NIFs. Using a JVM won't help there...
>

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Timothy Perrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Oh interesting :-)
>>
>> In addition, I heard that Riak had also been made to run on Erjang; if that were the case you could in theory already run it on windows via the JVM. Really must find time to try this...
>>
>> Cheers, Tim
>>
>> On 7 Jan 2011, at 07:48, Mark Phillips wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Kyle,

>>> Definitely share those binaries once you think they are ready for the
>>> spotlight. There are numerous parties who are interested in building
>>> Riak on Windows and, as Justin pointed out above, Basho's resources
>>> are a bit constrained at the moment, so any help we (and the
>>> community) could get in this respect would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mark

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Kyle Quest
The way Erjang is designed goes against some of the core concepts
behind Erlang. For example, Erjang shares messages instead of doing a
full copy like it's done in Erlang (at least, that's how it worked the
last time I checked Erjang). I trust the native Erlang VM a bit more
when it comes to stability and usability because it's developed by
long time Erlang experts. Erjang, on the other hand, was just an
experiment to learn Erlang. Definitely a fun way to do it, but it's
still an experiment :-) It sure is a cool future possibility to play
with.

> During JavaZone last year I spoke with Kresten about Erjang, and he claimed that despite the native code that many Erlang projects use, he was still seeing success using it (the details escape me now) and even did a live benchmark of it outperforming the BeamVM. Crazy stuff indeed.
>
> But either-way, my note was more about "isn't this interesting future possibility" rather than "it would be better than native"... obviously having windows binaries would be awesome and I would actually really like to see that happen :-)

Re: PDF or OpenOffice Impresse presentations instead of .KEY + Windows question

Jérôme Verstrynge
Thanks for your answer. I have installed VMware. I'll try to make Riak
work from there.

Cheers,

Jérôme