List all keys on a small bucket

Arun Rajagopalan
Hello Riak Users

I have a use case where I would really like to list all keys of a bucket despite all the warnings about performance. The number of keys is relatively small - in the few thousands at the very most, Usually its no more than 100

I also have other buckets in the same cluster that have millions of keys and tens of tera bytes of data

Question: Will listing all keys on the small bucket adversely impact performance of the other larger buckets?

Thanks
Arun

Re: List all keys on a small bucket

John Daily
The size of the bucket has no real impact on the cost of a list keys operation because each key on the cluster must be examined to determined whether it resides in the relevant bucket.

-John

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Arun Rajagopalan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Riak Users
>
> I have a use case where I would really like to list all keys of a bucket despite all the warnings about performance. The number of keys is relatively small - in the few thousands at the very most, Usually its no more than 100
>
> I also have other buckets in the same cluster that have millions of keys and tens of tera bytes of data
>
> Question: Will listing all keys on the small bucket adversely impact performance of the other larger buckets?
>
> Thanks
> Arun

Re: List all keys on a small bucket

Russell Brown-2
Depends on what backend you are running, no? If leveldb then this list keys operation can be pretty cheap.

It’s a coverage query, but if it’s leveldb at least you will seek to the start of the bucket and iterate over only the keys in that bucket.

Cheers

Russell

On 8 Dec 2016, at 21:19, John Daily <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The size of the bucket has no real impact on the cost of a list keys operation because each key on the cluster must be examined to determined whether it resides in the relevant bucket.
>
> -John
>
>> On Dec 8, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Arun Rajagopalan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Riak Users
>>
>> I have a use case where I would really like to list all keys of a bucket despite all the warnings about performance. The number of keys is relatively small - in the few thousands at the very most, Usually its no more than 100
>>
>> I also have other buckets in the same cluster that have millions of keys and tens of tera bytes of data
>>
>> Question: Will listing all keys on the small bucket adversely impact performance of the other larger buckets?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Arun

Re: List all keys on a small bucket

John Daily
I'd completely forgotten leveldb had that advantage. Russell is correct.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 4:51 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Depends on what backend you are running, no? If leveldb then this list keys operation can be pretty cheap.
>
> It’s a coverage query, but if it’s leveldb at least you will seek to the start of the bucket and iterate over only the keys in that bucket.
>
> Cheers
>
> Russell
>
>> On 8 Dec 2016, at 21:19, John Daily <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The size of the bucket has no real impact on the cost of a list keys operation because each key on the cluster must be examined to determined whether it resides in the relevant bucket.
>>
>> -John
>>
>>> On Dec 8, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Arun Rajagopalan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Riak Users
>>>
>>> I have a use case where I would really like to list all keys of a bucket despite all the warnings about performance. The number of keys is relatively small - in the few thousands at the very most, Usually its no more than 100
>>>
>>> I also have other buckets in the same cluster that have millions of keys and tens of tera bytes of data
>>>
>>> Question: Will listing all keys on the small bucket adversely impact performance of the other larger buckets?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Arun