Leveldb backup using nodejs

vvsanil
We want to use  basic 3 node riak cluster on amazon ec2 with a leveldb backend. The 3 nodes will be sitting under a load balancer.

When doing a backup ...
1. Do i need to remove the node from the load balancer?
2. How do i backup riak using nodejs? Can i run a cron or do i have to do this manually?

Re: Leveldb backup using nodejs

Hector Castro-2
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:52 AM, vvsanil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We want to use  basic 3 node riak cluster on amazon ec2 with a leveldb
> backend. The 3 nodes will be sitting under a load balancer.

To be clear, for production deployments we recommend using no fewer
than 5 nodes:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/references/appendices/Cluster-Capacity-Planning/#Number-of-Nodes

> When doing a backup ...
> 1. Do i need to remove the node from the load balancer?

The process for backing up the LevelDB backend can be found here:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/cookbooks/Backups/#LevelDB-Backups

> 2. How do i backup riak using nodejs? Can i run a cron or do i have to do
> this manually?

As the LevelDB backup link above mentions, running this in a cron job
is a good approach. You're best bet is to use a tool like rsync for
the data directory backups – although, if you're using a file system
with snapshot capabilities, that may be easier.

Re: Leveldb backup using nodejs

vvsanil
Hello Hector,
             Thanks for reply. We are planing  to launch 3 physical machines each has 2 riak nodes(6 riak nodes). Is it enough for production environment. Is there any problems using structure like this in clustering or  data backups ?

Re: Leveldb backup using nodejs

Alexander Sicular
i would not recommend putting multiple riak nodes on the same physical machine. this will mess with your perceived replication if you lose one of the physical machines.... not to mention double your io and resource requirements per machine.

-Alexander Sicular

@siculars