Late to the party but still wish to compile a working Riak

Late to the party but still wish to compile a working Riak

David Bloom
Hello Riak list!  After watching many videos about Erlang and LFE in particular I think I get it and now understand the many benefits of the BEAM and thought that Riak would make an excellent tool to build applications with.

While getting excited I learned of Basho's current limbo status but still interested in learning Riak as it has already been adopted enough that it seems that Riak (or it's future open-source name whatever) is here to stay.

How can I compile a working Riak?  Is it daft of me to learn Erlang/LFE to get future work supporting existing Riak installations?  Though very new to the Erlang ecosystem, I've managed to use Kerl to install different versions of R16 and R17, even used it to install Basho's patched R16 but nothing works.

Would it be better to try using the existing Riak containers on Docker Hub?  Any thoughts or tips for a Lisper looking to work with and learn more Erlang?  My resume available upon request.  Thanks in advance for your help.

-David Bloom

Re: Late to the party but still wish to compile a working Riak

Mark Allen
You might want to consider starting with udon, my "learn riak core" application I wrote a couple years ago:

Happy to answer questions here, via twitter @bytemeorg, or github issues, or in irc on #riak (might be slow - I don't look at riak-user constantly.)

Mark

On Monday, July 17, 2017, 11:16:01 AM CDT, David Bloom <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Just to follow up on this, I tried to work out OTP 20 support tonight but it looks like riak_ensemble is going to need some serious TLC to get OTP 20 to compile on it due to its use of deprecated gen_fsm calls in various parts of the application.

So I'm going to omit support for OTP 20 for now and work on OTP 18 and 19 support tomorrow for udon. That ought to be quite a bit more straight forward. I think it would mostly entail adding the proper relx configuration.

Mark

On Monday, July 17, 2017, 12:41:04 PM CDT, Mark Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mark!  I got most of the way through your talk in 2015 and will finish the video tomorrow, pretty heady stuff but you make it digestible.  I'm still getting used to erlang syntax, that's why my interest in LFE as its syntax is less cognitive load for me.

Udon and your talk are definitely going to help me jump-start into distributed programming.  Thanks for all the info and the updated code.  I look forward to building something useful with it.  Maybe I'll get good enough eventually to make some contributions to update the code to the latest erlang release.  Cheers.

David