Javascript swapout

Hec H
Just wondering what the level of embed spidermonkey JS engine is within riak. Not too sure on the base code or related to C but are their opportinites via Java-Erlang interface for a Rhino JS/Java engine.

                                       Thanks

                                         Hec

Re: Javascript swapout

Kevin Smith-5
Unfortunately that's not really a possibility. We selected Spidermonkey because it's lightweight and designed for embedded use cases. To do the same with Rhino would require embedding the JVM which would be problematic to embed in the same way.

I have thought about implementing an external interface for map and reduce phases similar to Hadoop's streams interface so users could perform maps and reduces using whatever technology is appropriate for them. Would this work for your use case?

--Kevin
On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Hec H wrote:

> Just wondering what the level of embed spidermonkey JS engine is within riak. Not too sure on the base code or related to C but are their opportinites via Java-Erlang interface for a Rhino JS/Java engine.
>

>                                        Thanks
>
>                                          Hec

Re: Javascript swapout

Greg Steffensen
Have you guys seen the zeromq library?  It's a fast, brokerless message passing library (the sender can talk directly to the recipient, without a message queue server in the middle).  That plus protocol buffers might be an easy way to call out to arbitrary code for mapreduce work, and you'd get the ability to make the recipient local or remote.  Their user guide actually suggests that it was inspired by erlang.

Greg

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately that's not really a possibility. We selected Spidermonkey because it's lightweight and designed for embedded use cases. To do the same with Rhino would require embedding the JVM which would be problematic to embed in the same way.

I have thought about implementing an external interface for map and reduce phases similar to Hadoop's streams interface so users could perform maps and reduces using whatever technology is appropriate for them. Would this work for your use case?

--Kevin
On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Hec H wrote:

> Just wondering what the level of embed spidermonkey JS engine is within riak. Not too sure on the base code or related to C but are their opportinites via Java-Erlang interface for a Rhino JS/Java engine.
>

>                                        Thanks
>
>                                          Hec

Re: Javascript swapout

Kevin Smith-5
0mq is definitely on my list of tech to evaluate when we get around to implementing this feature. I've heard the Erlang bindings are pretty good which is definitely a plus.

--Kevin
On Dec 2, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Greg Steffensen wrote:

> Have you guys seen the zeromq library?  It's a fast, brokerless message passing library (the sender can talk directly to the recipient, without a message queue server in the middle).  That plus protocol buffers might be an easy way to call out to arbitrary code for mapreduce work, and you'd get the ability to make the recipient local or remote.  Their user guide actually suggests that it was inspired by erlang.
>
> Greg
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unfortunately that's not really a possibility. We selected Spidermonkey because it's lightweight and designed for embedded use cases. To do the same with Rhino would require embedding the JVM which would be problematic to embed in the same way.
>
> I have thought about implementing an external interface for map and reduce phases similar to Hadoop's streams interface so users could perform maps and reduces using whatever technology is appropriate for them. Would this work for your use case?
>
> --Kevin
> On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Hec H wrote:
>
> > Just wondering what the level of embed spidermonkey JS engine is within riak. Not too sure on the base code or related to C but are their opportinites via Java-Erlang interface for a Rhino JS/Java engine.
> >

> >                                        Thanks
> >
> >                                          Hec

Re: Javascript swapout

Bob Ippolito
The erlang bindings for 0mq aren't very easy to compile on Mac OS X
and last I checked it required some unreleased version of 0mq to work
correctly. We wasted a few cycles on it recently. It all looks good in
theory but in practice it didn't feel like it was ready.

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 0mq is definitely on my list of tech to evaluate when we get around to implementing this feature. I've heard the Erlang bindings are pretty good which is definitely a plus.
>
> --Kevin
> On Dec 2, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Greg Steffensen wrote:
>
>> Have you guys seen the zeromq library?  It's a fast, brokerless message passing library (the sender can talk directly to the recipient, without a message queue server in the middle).  That plus protocol buffers might be an easy way to call out to arbitrary code for mapreduce work, and you'd get the ability to make the recipient local or remote.  Their user guide actually suggests that it was inspired by erlang.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Unfortunately that's not really a possibility. We selected Spidermonkey because it's lightweight and designed for embedded use cases. To do the same with Rhino would require embedding the JVM which would be problematic to embed in the same way.
>>
>> I have thought about implementing an external interface for map and reduce phases similar to Hadoop's streams interface so users could perform maps and reduces using whatever technology is appropriate for them. Would this work for your use case?
>>
>> --Kevin
>> On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Hec H wrote:
>>
>> > Just wondering what the level of embed spidermonkey JS engine is within riak. Not too sure on the base code or related to C but are their opportinites via Java-Erlang interface for a Rhino JS/Java engine.
>> >

>> >                                        Thanks
>> >
>> >                                          Hec

Re: Javascript swapout

Hec H
It would be a pretty neat addition,am not too hot on the streaming tech but it seems kind of cool to add a external layer for processing.
                                Thanks

                                   Hec