Is it a good practice to make riak a service and automatically start when the machine starts?

Is it a good practice to make riak a service and automatically start when the machine starts?

Gavin Huang
Hi,
    We have a little uncertainty in our team about whether to have riak automatically start when machine get rebooted.
    It do bring us some convenient if riak can start by default when machine crashed for some reason, and automatically restart. but i was wondering is there any case that automatically starting a problematic node and join the cluster would cause some problem. do you guys have any idea?

Thanks.
Gavin

Re: Is it a good practice to make riak a service and automatically start when the machine starts?

Jared Morrow
Gavin,

I think if you monitor the crash and reboot and take note or flag if it happens often, then that could be when you investigate the node more in depth.  Having a node go up and down often is a sign clearly of something bad happening that should be investigated.  For a rare reboot/crash, having it start on boot and automatically come up seems like the more ops friendly way to treat some event that should be rare.  Due to Riak working without all its nodes up, we've had people who forgot to start Riak nodes and never noticed they were down for weeks.  This is good in that Riak can take it, but not very awesome when you do bring it up and the node has a lot of handoff work to do to catch up.

-Jared