Is Riak dead?

123

Re: Is Riak dead?

Christopher Meiklejohn-2
If anyone was close to getting Riak working on Alpha or VAX, it would have been Andrew Thompson.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:14 PM, DeadZen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rackspace has provided some resources, love all the feedback.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know it was, i saw the smile :) and VMS doesnt run only on alphas
anymore.... :) I have both Alpha and Itaniums with OpenVMS on it live
now.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2017, at 22:52, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It was a joke. :)
>
> Always better explained. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha)
>

>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> VMS as in Virtual Machine(S)
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> VMS?  I don't think we ever got Riak compiling on Alpha. 💛😀
>>
>> On Jul 13, 2017 1:30 PM, "Outback Dingo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I dont believe abandon is the proper term, resurrect and carry forth,
>> we will not let you go quietly into the night
>>
>> LETS DO THIS SHIT! Ive got cloud resources I own... servers/VMS/XEN
>> Ill do it myself if I need tooo.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Re: Is Riak dead?

Outback Dingo
would be nice, I actually did the FreeBSD ports work to get riak / erlang and others into the ports tree
along with another person who committed it, and I actually use it still in production

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
If anyone was close to getting Riak working on Alpha or VAX, it would have been Andrew Thompson.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:14 PM, DeadZen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rackspace has provided some resources, love all the feedback.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know it was, i saw the smile :) and VMS doesnt run only on alphas
anymore.... :) I have both Alpha and Itaniums with OpenVMS on it live
now.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2017, at 22:52, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It was a joke. :)
>
> Always better explained. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha)
>

>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> VMS as in Virtual Machine(S)
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> VMS?  I don't think we ever got Riak compiling on Alpha. 💛😀
>>
>> On Jul 13, 2017 1:30 PM, "Outback Dingo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I dont believe abandon is the proper term, resurrect and carry forth,
>> we will not let you go quietly into the night
>>
>> LETS DO THIS SHIT! Ive got cloud resources I own... servers/VMS/XEN
>> Ill do it myself if I need tooo.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Re: Is Riak dead?

lrPrentice

If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to do the legwork in Boston and put up a very modest contribution toward up-front cost with hope of recovery through registrations.

Boston has conference spaces of all sizes. I would imagine a conference on the future of open-source Riak would be a fairly intimate group. I'm also imagining a fairly bare-bones event to minimize cost of registration. Registration cost should be just enough to cover the venue and nibbles.

Just to kick off brain-storming:

1. Say two days--- Friday and Saturday

2. Friday: Invite short (20 minute) proposals on key topics

     a. Clarifying legal issues

     b. Technical road map

     c. Organizational framework; e.g. ala Apache Foundation or some such

     d. Marketing; e.g. expanding the open-source community

3. Saturday (or Saturday morning)

     Discussion sessions with goal of recommendations for moving forward

How to get from here to there:

1. Is there enough interest on the mailing list?

2. How can we pin down an agenda?

3. Can we get corporate sponsorships to minimize registration?

4. How can we most widely promote the event?

5. What else?

All the best,

Lloyd

No Riak is not dead. It’s parent company, Basho is dead. And they kept the keys. There are numerous forks that are being worked on. Hopefully something that is a canonical, community backed fork will emerge. Past mailing list posts show strong support from large commercial and govt. organisations. Riak is open source and will continue to be critical infrastructure for numerous organisation in its niche for some time.

There are also a few support organisations springing up, as well as the existing partners (Erlang Solutions, Trifork etc.) If you’re asking me, this could be a very good thing for Riak in the medium to long term. It and it’s users and community were served very badly by Basho these last couple of years. It’s a little trodden under, but no way dead. Give it a little time to bounce back.

Cheers

Russell

On 11 Jul 2017, at 08:15, Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.
>
> https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly
> https://github.com/basho/riak/pulse/monthly
>
> Thanks,
> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Gokhan Boranalp
Hi all,

I think it is better to wait for a while as Russel pointed a legal issues.
We also would like remark our support to Riak as a company.
We are ready to put coding/documentation/hosting etc. effort after all
things settled.

Cheers

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:06 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to do the legwork in Boston and
> put up a very modest contribution toward up-front cost with hope of recovery
> through registrations.
>

> Boston has conference spaces of all sizes. I would imagine a conference on
> the future of open-source Riak would be a fairly intimate group. I'm also
> imagining a fairly bare-bones event to minimize cost of registration.
> Registration cost should be just enough to cover the venue and nibbles.
>

> Just to kick off brain-storming:
>

> 1. Say two days--- Friday and Saturday
>
> 2. Friday: Invite short (20 minute) proposals on key topics
>
>      a. Clarifying legal issues
>
>      b. Technical road map
>
>      c. Organizational framework; e.g. ala Apache Foundation or some such
>
>      d. Marketing; e.g. expanding the open-source community
>
> 3. Saturday (or Saturday morning)
>
>      Discussion sessions with goal of recommendations for moving forward
>

> How to get from here to there:
>

> 1. Is there enough interest on the mailing list?
>
> 2. How can we pin down an agenda?
>
> 3. Can we get corporate sponsorships to minimize registration?
>
> 4. How can we most widely promote the event?
>
> 5. What else?
>

> All the best,
>

> Lloyd

Iyi calismalar dilerim.
---------
Gokhan Boranalp
+90 555 548 56 18
[hidden email]
http://www.zetaops.io
http://dc.zetaops.io/
http://www.slideshare.net/kunthar
http://www.github.com/kunthar
http://www.github.com/zetaops

Eger gonderilmesi dusunulen kisi veya kurulus degilseniz, lutfen
gonderen kisiyi derhal haberdar ediniz ve mesaji sisteminizden
siliniz.
If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the
sender and delete the message from your system.
---------

Re: Is Riak dead?

Alexander Sicular
I love your enthusiasm Lloyd. How about starting with a slack channel
and take it from there...

Things that would kinda need to happen for Riak to grow beyond where it is now:

- complete rebranding. Basho is dead. The term "Riak" may be encumbered.
- new everything. name. domain. github repo. bla bla bla.

Instead of a framework, how can the Riak codebase actually become an
Apache project?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to do the legwork in Boston and
> put up a very modest contribution toward up-front cost with hope of recovery
> through registrations.
>

> Boston has conference spaces of all sizes. I would imagine a conference on
> the future of open-source Riak would be a fairly intimate group. I'm also
> imagining a fairly bare-bones event to minimize cost of registration.
> Registration cost should be just enough to cover the venue and nibbles.
>

> Just to kick off brain-storming:
>

> 1. Say two days--- Friday and Saturday
>
> 2. Friday: Invite short (20 minute) proposals on key topics
>
>      a. Clarifying legal issues
>
>      b. Technical road map
>
>      c. Organizational framework; e.g. ala Apache Foundation or some such
>
>      d. Marketing; e.g. expanding the open-source community
>
> 3. Saturday (or Saturday morning)
>
>      Discussion sessions with goal of recommendations for moving forward
>

> How to get from here to there:
>

> 1. Is there enough interest on the mailing list?
>
> 2. How can we pin down an agenda?
>
> 3. Can we get corporate sponsorships to minimize registration?
>
> 4. How can we most widely promote the event?
>
> 5. What else?
>

> All the best,
>

> Lloyd

Re: Is Riak dead?

Russell Brown

On 14 Jul 2017, at 17:26, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I love your enthusiasm Lloyd. How about starting with a slack channel
> and take it from there…

What’s wrong with the existing IRC channel?

> Things that would kinda need to happen for Riak to grow beyond where it is now:

Grow? Surely we’re just talking survival and maintenance in the first instance. Security for those orgs that depend on it. Growth was the problem, right?

> - complete rebranding. Basho is dead. The term "Riak" may be encumbered.

What do you mean “encumbered”? Riak is the name of an Apache2 licensed open source database, so it can continue to be used to describe that apache 2 licensed database, please don’t spread FUD.

> - new everything. name. domain. github repo. bla bla bla.

Again, I don’t agree. Why a new name? Obviously the basho domain is off limits, but why does that matter, any great content on there? Or just cartoon guys?

Numerous orgs already have full forks of all repos, and all the issues copied, and pull request histories etc. This wasn’t a surprise.

> Instead of a framework, how can the Riak codebase actually become an
> Apache project?

Personally not sure of the benefit of being an apache project.

Russell

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to do the legwork in Boston and
>> put up a very modest contribution toward up-front cost with hope of recovery
>> through registrations.
>>

>> Boston has conference spaces of all sizes. I would imagine a conference on
>> the future of open-source Riak would be a fairly intimate group. I'm also
>> imagining a fairly bare-bones event to minimize cost of registration.
>> Registration cost should be just enough to cover the venue and nibbles.
>>

>> Just to kick off brain-storming:
>>

>> 1. Say two days--- Friday and Saturday
>>
>> 2. Friday: Invite short (20 minute) proposals on key topics
>>
>>     a. Clarifying legal issues
>>
>>     b. Technical road map
>>
>>     c. Organizational framework; e.g. ala Apache Foundation or some such
>>
>>     d. Marketing; e.g. expanding the open-source community
>>
>> 3. Saturday (or Saturday morning)
>>
>>     Discussion sessions with goal of recommendations for moving forward
>>

>> How to get from here to there:
>>

>> 1. Is there enough interest on the mailing list?
>>
>> 2. How can we pin down an agenda?
>>
>> 3. Can we get corporate sponsorships to minimize registration?
>>
>> 4. How can we most widely promote the event?
>>
>> 5. What else?
>>

>> All the best,
>>

>> Lloyd

>>> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Dave King
Just FYI: I know one Apache Foundation Project that had to change it's name when it wanted to leave the foundation.

- Peace
Dave

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 14 Jul 2017, at 17:26, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I love your enthusiasm Lloyd. How about starting with a slack channel
> and take it from there…

What’s wrong with the existing IRC channel?

> Things that would kinda need to happen for Riak to grow beyond where it is now:

Grow? Surely we’re just talking survival and maintenance in the first instance. Security for those orgs that depend on it. Growth was the problem, right?

> - complete rebranding. Basho is dead. The term "Riak" may be encumbered.

What do you mean “encumbered”? Riak is the name of an Apache2 licensed open source database, so it can continue to be used to describe that apache 2 licensed database, please don’t spread FUD.

> - new everything. name. domain. github repo. bla bla bla.

Again, I don’t agree. Why a new name? Obviously the basho domain is off limits, but why does that matter, any great content on there? Or just cartoon guys?

Numerous orgs already have full forks of all repos, and all the issues copied, and pull request histories etc. This wasn’t a surprise.

> Instead of a framework, how can the Riak codebase actually become an
> Apache project?

Personally not sure of the benefit of being an apache project.

Russell

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to do the legwork in Boston and
>> put up a very modest contribution toward up-front cost with hope of recovery
>> through registrations.
>>

>> Boston has conference spaces of all sizes. I would imagine a conference on
>> the future of open-source Riak would be a fairly intimate group. I'm also
>> imagining a fairly bare-bones event to minimize cost of registration.
>> Registration cost should be just enough to cover the venue and nibbles.
>>

>> Just to kick off brain-storming:
>>

>> 1. Say two days--- Friday and Saturday
>>
>> 2. Friday: Invite short (20 minute) proposals on key topics
>>
>>     a. Clarifying legal issues
>>
>>     b. Technical road map
>>
>>     c. Organizational framework; e.g. ala Apache Foundation or some such
>>
>>     d. Marketing; e.g. expanding the open-source community
>>
>> 3. Saturday (or Saturday morning)
>>
>>     Discussion sessions with goal of recommendations for moving forward
>>

>> How to get from here to there:
>>

>> 1. Is there enough interest on the mailing list?
>>
>> 2. How can we pin down an agenda?
>>
>> 3. Can we get corporate sponsorships to minimize registration?
>>
>> 4. How can we most widely promote the event?
>>
>> 5. What else?
>>

>> All the best,
>>

>> Lloyd

>>> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Alexander Sicular

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 11:32, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What do you mean “encumbered”? Riak is the name of an Apache2 licensed open source database, so it can continue to be used to describe that apache 2 licensed database, please don’t spread FUD.

You willing to invest time in a project that could be legally encumbered at some point in the future because lawyers? You willing to put that beyond the clown fiesta that is Basho? I don't think so.

Re: Is Riak dead?

Dave King
Looks like Basho has the trademark on Riak.

- Peace
Dave

On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:08, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Jul 14, 2017, at 11:32, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean “encumbered”? Riak is the name of an Apache2 licensed open source database, so it can continue to be used to describe that apache 2 licensed database, please don’t spread FUD.
>
> You willing to invest time in a project that could be legally encumbered at some point in the future because lawyers? You willing to put that beyond the clown fiesta that is Basho?

Yup. Not just me. It’s just a name.

> I don't think so.
 Think different(tm)

Re: Is Riak dead?

Russell Brown

On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:17, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like Basho has the trademark on Riak.
> http://www.trademarkia.com/riak-77954950.html

They sure do. And if you look at the Apache2 license you’ll see that it grants use of the name to identify the source.

Look, I’m not a lawyer, and I’m guessing you’re not a lawyer. What difference does the name or trademark make? There are a bunch of active users of Riak, some of whom have made it clear they plan to continue using it. Dance on Basho’s grave all you want, but Riak isn’t dead yet.

> - Peace
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 14, 2017, at 11:32, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > What do you mean “encumbered”? Riak is the name of an Apache2 licensed open source database, so it can continue to be used to describe that apache 2 licensed database, please don’t spread FUD.
>
> You willing to invest time in a project that could be legally encumbered at some point in the future because lawyers? You willing to put that beyond the clown fiesta that is Basho? I don't think so.

Re: Is Riak dead?

Dave King
6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.

So At minimum I read that as there would need to be a new product name, and the docs for that product could say formerly known as Riak.

- Peace
Dave

On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:26, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.
>
> So At minimum I read that as there would need to be a new product name, and the docs for that product could say formerly known as Riak.

You are lawyer?

> - Peace
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:17, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Looks like Basho has the trademark on Riak.
> > http://www.trademarkia.com/riak-77954950.html
>
> They sure do. And if you look at the Apache2 license you’ll see that it grants use of the name to identify the source.
>
> Look, I’m not a lawyer, and I’m guessing you’re not a lawyer. What difference does the name or trademark make? There are a bunch of active users of Riak, some of whom have made it clear they plan to continue using it. Dance on Basho’s grave all you want, but Riak isn’t dead yet.
>

> > - Peace
> > Dave
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > On Jul 14, 2017, at 11:32, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > What do you mean “encumbered”? Riak is the name of an Apache2 licensed open source database, so it can continue to be used to describe that apache 2 licensed database, please don’t spread FUD.
> >
> > You willing to invest time in a project that could be legally encumbered at some point in the future because lawyers? You willing to put that beyond the clown fiesta that is Basho? I don't think so.

Re: Is Riak dead?

lrPrentice
Hello,

Rackspace email has had serious issues, so I must have missed Alexander's latest post. But thanks to Russell's post, here are a few thoughts on several of Alexander's points:

I've never used slack and have minimal experience with IRC, but would be happy to adapt to any forum that would support serious dialogue and momentum toward consensus.

The problem is how to define and keep focus on the most immediate and concerns and issues. Unfortunately mailing list threads have a way of wandering off track.

Legal clarification is certainly high priority. It would be good to go through the Riak licenses to see what they do and do not permit.

Even better if an IP attorney could share with the community an analysis. Perhaps there's a generous Riak corporate user out there willing to step up to the task.

Here's info re: the current Basho Technologies lawsuit:

Basho Suit Stays On Course Despite Defense Counsel Chaos
https://www.law360.com/articles/917913/basho-suit-stays-on-course-despite-defense-counsel-chaos

This spat could go on for awhile and who knows who'll be left standing to pick up the pieces and if they'll be of mind to do so.

Meanwhile, many companies and developers who have adopted Riak products are left without support and under a big black cloud of uncertainty.

So the second, priority, seems to me, is to rally the existing community--- identify who and how many in the community have enough vested interest to work toward sustainability, continued availability, and future development of the open source Riak code.

It may be little more than a holding action until the Basho Tech lawsuit is settled. But uncertainty has a way of devolving into apathy and loss of interest.

With regard to governance, it probably is too soon to do much more than define the options and weigh the pros and cons.

My assumption is that there are smart people with serious ideas and a vested interest out there. The question is, how can we best get the pot boiling?

All the best,

Lloyd

On 14 Jul 2017, at 17:26, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I love your enthusiasm Lloyd. How about starting with a slack channel
> and take it from there…

What’s wrong with the existing IRC channel?

> Things that would kinda need to happen for Riak to grow beyond where it is now:

Grow? Surely we’re just talking survival and maintenance in the first instance. Security for those orgs that depend on it. Growth was the problem, right?

> - complete rebranding. Basho is dead. The term "Riak" may be encumbered.

What do you mean “encumbered”? Riak is the name of an Apache2 licensed open source database, so it can continue to be used to describe that apache 2 licensed database, please don’t spread FUD.

> - new everything. name. domain. github repo. bla bla bla.

Again, I don’t agree. Why a new name? Obviously the basho domain is off limits, but why does that matter, any great content on there? Or just cartoon guys?

Numerous orgs already have full forks of all repos, and all the issues copied, and pull request histories etc. This wasn’t a surprise.

> Instead of a framework, how can the Riak codebase actually become an
> Apache project?

Personally not sure of the benefit of being an apache project.

Russell

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to do the legwork in Boston and
>> put up a very modest contribution toward up-front cost with hope of recovery
>> through registrations.
>>

>> Boston has conference spaces of all sizes. I would imagine a conference on
>> the future of open-source Riak would be a fairly intimate group. I'm also
>> imagining a fairly bare-bones event to minimize cost of registration.
>> Registration cost should be just enough to cover the venue and nibbles.
>>

>> Just to kick off brain-storming:
>>

>> 1. Say two days--- Friday and Saturday
>>
>> 2. Friday: Invite short (20 minute) proposals on key topics
>>
>> a. Clarifying legal issues
>>
>> b. Technical road map
>>
>> c. Organizational framework; e.g. ala Apache Foundation or some such
>>
>> d. Marketing; e.g. expanding the open-source community
>>
>> 3. Saturday (or Saturday morning)
>>
>> Discussion sessions with goal of recommendations for moving forward
>>

>> How to get from here to there:
>>

>> 1. Is there enough interest on the mailing list?
>>
>> 2. How can we pin down an agenda?
>>
>> 3. Can we get corporate sponsorships to minimize registration?
>>
>> 4. How can we most widely promote the event?
>>
>> 5. What else?
>>

>> All the best,
>>

>> Lloyd

>>> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Dave King
No, but I can read.

- Peace
Dave

On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:28, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, but I can read.

I read it too. I’m not sure what your point is. A day may come when the name has to change?

> - Peace
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:26, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.
> >
> > So At minimum I read that as there would need to be a new product name, and the docs for that product could say formerly known as Riak.
>
> You are lawyer?
>

> > - Peace
> > Dave
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:17, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like Basho has the trademark on Riak.
> > > http://www.trademarkia.com/riak-77954950.html
> >
> > They sure do. And if you look at the Apache2 license you’ll see that it grants use of the name to identify the source.
> >
> > Look, I’m not a lawyer, and I’m guessing you’re not a lawyer. What difference does the name or trademark make? There are a bunch of active users of Riak, some of whom have made it clear they plan to continue using it. Dance on Basho’s grave all you want, but Riak isn’t dead yet.
> >

> > > - Peace
> > > Dave

> > > You willing to invest time in a project that could be legally encumbered at some point in the future because lawyers? You willing to put that beyond the clown fiesta that is Basho? I don't think so.

Re: Is Riak dead?

Dave King
You asked what difference the tm made.  The tm invokes clause 6.  So yes it means moving forward means a new name.  That's one of the things to be considered.

- Peace
Dave

On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:36, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You asked what difference the tm made.  The tm invokes clause 6.  So yes it means moving forward means a new name.  That's one of the things to be considered.

Agree, so if we’re sticking to the subject, “Is Riak dead?” the worst case is: “No, but potentially the name could be some time in the future”, right?

I asked rhetorically what difference the TM made. I’ve also read the license, and taken legal advice. This was not in any way a surprise.

> - Peace
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:28, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > No, but I can read.
>
> I read it too. I’m not sure what your point is. A day may come when the name has to change?
>

> > - Peace
> > Dave
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:26, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > 6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.
> > >
> > > So At minimum I read that as there would need to be a new product name, and the docs for that product could say formerly known as Riak.
> >
> > You are lawyer?
> >

> > > - Peace
> > > Dave

> > > They sure do. And if you look at the Apache2 license you’ll see that it grants use of the name to identify the source.
> > >
> > > Look, I’m not a lawyer, and I’m guessing you’re not a lawyer. What difference does the name or trademark make? There are a bunch of active users of Riak, some of whom have made it clear they plan to continue using it. Dance on Basho’s grave all you want, but Riak isn’t dead yet.

Re: Is Riak dead?

lrPrentice
Perhaps we can get overview of legal issues and options here:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/services/

Best,

Lloyd

On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:28, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, but I can read.

I read it too. I’m not sure what your point is. A day may come when the name has to change?

> - Peace
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:26, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.
> >
> > So At minimum I read that as there would need to be a new product name, and the docs for that product could say formerly known as Riak.
>
> You are lawyer?
>

> > - Peace
> > Dave
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 14 Jul 2017, at 23:17, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like Basho has the trademark on Riak.
> > > http://www.trademarkia.com/riak-77954950.html
> >
> > They sure do. And if you look at the Apache2 license you’ll see that it grants use of the name to identify the source.
> >
> > Look, I’m not a lawyer, and I’m guessing you’re not a lawyer. What difference does the name or trademark make? There are a bunch of active users of Riak, some of whom have made it clear they plan to continue using it. Dance on Basho’s grave all you want, but Riak isn’t dead yet.
> >

> > > - Peace
> > > Dave

> > > You willing to invest time in a project that could be legally encumbered at some point in the future because lawyers? You willing to put that beyond the clown fiesta that is Basho? I don't think so.

Re: Is Riak dead?

Outback Dingo
i see 0 issue with simply renaming the project, its still the same
software under the hood...... it cant be that hard to create an open
source fork under a different name and carry forward