Is Riak dead?

123

Is Riak dead?

Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti-3
Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.

https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly

Thanks,
Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Russell Brown-4
Hi Senthilkumar,
No Riak is not dead. It’s parent company, Basho is dead. And they kept the keys. There are numerous forks that are being worked on. Hopefully something that is a canonical, community backed fork will emerge. Past mailing list posts show strong support from large commercial and govt. organisations. Riak is open source and will continue to be critical infrastructure for numerous organisation in its niche for some time.

There are also a few support organisations springing up, as well as the existing partners (Erlang Solutions, Trifork etc.) If you’re asking me, this could be a very good thing for Riak in the medium to long term. It and it’s users and community were served very badly by Basho these last couple of years. It’s a little trodden under, but no way dead. Give it a little time to bounce back.

Cheers

Russell

On 11 Jul 2017, at 08:15, Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.
>
> https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly
> https://github.com/basho/riak/pulse/monthly
>
> Thanks,
> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Outback Dingo
well, if thats the case someone best be starting a new site and
mailing list soon in case this one dissappears

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Russell Brown
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Senthilkumar,
> No Riak is not dead. It’s parent company, Basho is dead. And they kept the keys. There are numerous forks that are being worked on. Hopefully something that is a canonical, community backed fork will emerge. Past mailing list posts show strong support from large commercial and govt. organisations. Riak is open source and will continue to be critical infrastructure for numerous organisation in its niche for some time.
>
> There are also a few support organisations springing up, as well as the existing partners (Erlang Solutions, Trifork etc.) If you’re asking me, this could be a very good thing for Riak in the medium to long term. It and it’s users and community were served very badly by Basho these last couple of years. It’s a little trodden under, but no way dead. Give it a little time to bounce back.
>
> Cheers
>
> Russell
>

> On 11 Jul 2017, at 08:15, Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.
>>
>> https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly
>> https://github.com/basho/riak/pulse/monthly
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Russell Brown-4
Agree.

But at the moment they’re also not dead. Somewhat of a zombie, rumoured to be litigious. Circumspection is required.

It’ll happen. Don’t worry.

On 13 Jul 2017, at 17:51, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> well, if thats the case someone best be starting a new site and
> mailing list soon in case this one dissappears
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Russell Brown
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Senthilkumar,
>> No Riak is not dead. It’s parent company, Basho is dead. And they kept the keys. There are numerous forks that are being worked on. Hopefully something that is a canonical, community backed fork will emerge. Past mailing list posts show strong support from large commercial and govt. organisations. Riak is open source and will continue to be critical infrastructure for numerous organisation in its niche for some time.
>>
>> There are also a few support organisations springing up, as well as the existing partners (Erlang Solutions, Trifork etc.) If you’re asking me, this could be a very good thing for Riak in the medium to long term. It and it’s users and community were served very badly by Basho these last couple of years. It’s a little trodden under, but no way dead. Give it a little time to bounce back.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Russell
>>

>> On 11 Jul 2017, at 08:15, Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly
>>> https://github.com/basho/riak/pulse/monthly
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

DeadZen
I am willing to start this asap

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:59 PM Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Agree.

But at the moment they’re also not dead. Somewhat of a zombie, rumoured to be litigious. Circumspection is required.

It’ll happen. Don’t worry.

On 13 Jul 2017, at 17:51, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> well, if thats the case someone best be starting a new site and
> mailing list soon in case this one dissappears
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Russell Brown
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Senthilkumar,
>> No Riak is not dead. It’s parent company, Basho is dead. And they kept the keys. There are numerous forks that are being worked on. Hopefully something that is a canonical, community backed fork will emerge. Past mailing list posts show strong support from large commercial and govt. organisations. Riak is open source and will continue to be critical infrastructure for numerous organisation in its niche for some time.
>>
>> There are also a few support organisations springing up, as well as the existing partners (Erlang Solutions, Trifork etc.) If you’re asking me, this could be a very good thing for Riak in the medium to long term. It and it’s users and community were served very badly by Basho these last couple of years. It’s a little trodden under, but no way dead. Give it a little time to bounce back.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Russell
>>

>> On 11 Jul 2017, at 08:15, Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly
>>> https://github.com/basho/riak/pulse/monthly
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Outback Dingo
as I am also ready to pitch in

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:38 PM, DeadZen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am willing to start this asap
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:59 PM Russell Brown <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Agree.
>>
>> But at the moment they’re also not dead. Somewhat of a zombie, rumoured to
>> be litigious. Circumspection is required.
>>
>> It’ll happen. Don’t worry.
>>
>> On 13 Jul 2017, at 17:51, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > well, if thats the case someone best be starting a new site and
>> > mailing list soon in case this one dissappears

Re: Is Riak dead?

DeadZen
Awesome! Ill forward details to here for a new fork, mailing list and academy.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:41 PM Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
as I am also ready to pitch in

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:38 PM, DeadZen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am willing to start this asap
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:59 PM Russell Brown <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Agree.
>>
>> But at the moment they’re also not dead. Somewhat of a zombie, rumoured to
>> be litigious. Circumspection is required.
>>
>> It’ll happen. Don’t worry.
>>
>> On 13 Jul 2017, at 17:51, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > well, if thats the case someone best be starting a new site and
>> > mailing list soon in case this one dissappears

Re: Is Riak dead?

Outback Dingo
i have compute resources if you need to host a vm or other...

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:50 PM, DeadZen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Awesome! Ill forward details to here for a new fork, mailing list and
> academy.
>

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:41 PM Outback Dingo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> as I am also ready to pitch in
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:38 PM, DeadZen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I am willing to start this asap
>> >
>> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:59 PM Russell Brown
>> > <[hidden email]>

Re: Is Riak dead?

lrPrentice

Hmmm--- I wonder if anyone has given thought to a conference focused on the future of open-source Riak?

I'm sure there are many good ideas out there re: roadmap and governance.

It's just too great not to be worth deep thought and prudent action.

All the best,

LRP

No Riak is not dead. It’s parent company, Basho is dead. And they kept the keys. There are numerous forks that are being worked on. Hopefully something that is a canonical, community backed fork will emerge. Past mailing list posts show strong support from large commercial and govt. organisations. Riak is open source and will continue to be critical infrastructure for numerous organisation in its niche for some time.

There are also a few support organisations springing up, as well as the existing partners (Erlang Solutions, Trifork etc.) If you’re asking me, this could be a very good thing for Riak in the medium to long term. It and it’s users and community were served very badly by Basho these last couple of years. It’s a little trodden under, but no way dead. Give it a little time to bounce back.

Cheers

Russell

On 11 Jul 2017, at 08:15, Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.
>
> https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly
> https://github.com/basho/riak/pulse/monthly
>
> Thanks,
> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Alexander Sicular
In case you haven't seen it...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/13/will_the_last_person_at_basho_get_the_lights_oh_too_late/

Cheers,
Alexander

On 11 Jul 2017, at 08:15, Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti <sendtopms@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.
>
> https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly
> https://github.com/basho/riak/pulse/monthly
>
> Thanks,
> Senthil

No Riak is not dead. It’s parent company, Basho is dead. And they kept the keys. There are numerous forks that are being worked on. Hopefully something that is a canonical, community backed fork will emerge. Past mailing list posts show strong support from large commercial and govt. organisations. Riak is open source and will continue to be critical infrastructure for numerous organisation in its niche for some time.

There are also a few support organisations springing up, as well as the existing partners (Erlang Solutions, Trifork etc.) If you’re asking me, this could be a very good thing for Riak in the medium to long term. It and it’s users and community were served very badly by Basho these last couple of years. It’s a little trodden under, but no way dead. Give it a little time to bounce back.

Cheers

Russell

On 11 Jul 2017, at 08:15, Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Riak dead? No new activities on Riak GitHub repo.
>
> https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pulse/monthly
> https://github.com/basho/riak/pulse/monthly
>
> Thanks,
> Senthil

Re: Is Riak dead?

Alexander Sicular
Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Tom Santero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> RICON: A New Hope
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> We have talked about it. Let's do it!
>>
>> On Jul 13, 2017 7:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm--- I wonder if anyone has given thought to a conference focused on
>> the future of open-source Riak?
>>

>> I'm sure there are many good ideas out there re: roadmap and governance.
>>

>> It's just too great not to be worth deep thought and prudent action.
>>

>> All the best,
>>

>> LRP

Re: Is Riak dead?

Outback Dingo
I dont believe abandon is the proper term, resurrect and carry forth,
we will not let you go quietly into the night

LETS DO THIS SHIT! Ive got cloud resources I own... servers/VMS/XEN
Ill do it myself if I need tooo.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Tom Santero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> RICON: A New Hope
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have talked about it. Let's do it!
>>>
>>> On Jul 13, 2017 7:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm--- I wonder if anyone has given thought to a conference focused on
>>> the future of open-source Riak?
>>>

>>> I'm sure there are many good ideas out there re: roadmap and governance.
>>>

>>> It's just too great not to be worth deep thought and prudent action.
>>>

>>> All the best,
>>>

>>> LRP

Re: Is Riak dead?

Christopher Meiklejohn-2
VMS?  I don't think we ever got Riak compiling on Alpha. 💛😀

On Jul 13, 2017 1:30 PM, "Outback Dingo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I dont believe abandon is the proper term, resurrect and carry forth,
we will not let you go quietly into the night

LETS DO THIS SHIT! Ive got cloud resources I own... servers/VMS/XEN
Ill do it myself if I need tooo.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Tom Santero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> RICON: A New Hope
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have talked about it. Let's do it!
>>>
>>> On Jul 13, 2017 7:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm--- I wonder if anyone has given thought to a conference focused on
>>> the future of open-source Riak?
>>>

>>> I'm sure there are many good ideas out there re: roadmap and governance.
>>>

>>> It's just too great not to be worth deep thought and prudent action.
>>>

>>> All the best,
>>>

>>> LRP

Re: Is Riak dead?

Outback Dingo
VMS as in Virtual Machine(S)

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
VMS?  I don't think we ever got Riak compiling on Alpha. 💛😀

On Jul 13, 2017 1:30 PM, "Outback Dingo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I dont believe abandon is the proper term, resurrect and carry forth,
we will not let you go quietly into the night

LETS DO THIS SHIT! Ive got cloud resources I own... servers/VMS/XEN
Ill do it myself if I need tooo.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Tom Santero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> RICON: A New Hope
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have talked about it. Let's do it!
>>>
>>> On Jul 13, 2017 7:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm--- I wonder if anyone has given thought to a conference focused on
>>> the future of open-source Riak?
>>>

>>> I'm sure there are many good ideas out there re: roadmap and governance.
>>>

>>> It's just too great not to be worth deep thought and prudent action.
>>>

>>> All the best,
>>>

>>> LRP

Re: Is Riak dead?

Christopher Meiklejohn-2
It was a joke. :)

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
VMS as in Virtual Machine(S)

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
VMS?  I don't think we ever got Riak compiling on Alpha. 💛😀

On Jul 13, 2017 1:30 PM, "Outback Dingo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I dont believe abandon is the proper term, resurrect and carry forth,
we will not let you go quietly into the night

LETS DO THIS SHIT! Ive got cloud resources I own... servers/VMS/XEN
Ill do it myself if I need tooo.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Tom Santero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> RICON: A New Hope
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have talked about it. Let's do it!
>>>
>>> On Jul 13, 2017 7:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm--- I wonder if anyone has given thought to a conference focused on
>>> the future of open-source Riak?
>>>

>>> I'm sure there are many good ideas out there re: roadmap and governance.
>>>

>>> It's just too great not to be worth deep thought and prudent action.
>>>

>>> All the best,
>>>

>>> LRP

Re: Is Riak dead?

Russell Brown-4

Always better explained. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha)

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> VMS as in Virtual Machine(S)
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> VMS?  I don't think we ever got Riak compiling on Alpha. 💛😀
>
> On Jul 13, 2017 1:30 PM, "Outback Dingo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I dont believe abandon is the proper term, resurrect and carry forth,
> we will not let you go quietly into the night
>
> LETS DO THIS SHIT! Ive got cloud resources I own... servers/VMS/XEN
> Ill do it myself if I need tooo.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Tom Santero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> RICON: A New Hope

Re: Is Riak dead?

Outback Dingo
I know it was, i saw the smile :) and VMS doesnt run only on alphas
anymore.... :) I have both Alpha and Itaniums with OpenVMS on it live
now.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Russell Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2017, at 22:52, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It was a joke. :)
>
> Always better explained. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha)
>

>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Outback Dingo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> VMS as in Virtual Machine(S)
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Christopher Meiklejohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> VMS?  I don't think we ever got Riak compiling on Alpha. 💛😀
>>
>> On Jul 13, 2017 1:30 PM, "Outback Dingo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I dont believe abandon is the proper term, resurrect and carry forth,
>> we will not let you go quietly into the night
>>
>> LETS DO THIS SHIT! Ive got cloud resources I own... servers/VMS/XEN
>> Ill do it myself if I need tooo.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sicular <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Re: Is Riak dead?

DeadZen
Rackspace has provided some resources, love all the feedback.

123