How does riak scale horizontally

Suman Kumar

Hi,
I have read through many articles about riak but I am little confused how does riak scale when adding a node. Assume I am having 5nodes having n_val of 3 with 8gb Ram and 100gb ebs for each node and they have reached the capacity of ram and harddisk now I am planning to add one more node to the cluster to scale but since the n_val is 3 it will keep adding to old nodes as well. My question is how does it scale does it move data from old nodes to the new node rebalance and free up space from old node?

Thanks,
Suman Kumar Dey

Re: How does riak scale horizontally

Jeremiah Peschka

A small portion of the data will be moved to the new node. Specifically virtual nodes will be shuffled to assure even data distribution in the cluster. This is in the docs at [1]

[1]: http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/running/nodes/adding-removing/#The-Node-Join-Process

---
sent from a tiny portion of the hive mind...
in this case, a phone