Fwd: Cluster basics: Gossip interval

Sean Cribbs-2
Forgot to send to the list.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sean Cribbs <[hidden email]>
Date: March 9, 2010 8:48:45 AM EST
To: Mårten Gustafson <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Cluster basics: Gossip interval

Mårten,

Decreasing the gossip interval will have these effects:

1) The cluster will get more chatty on the network.
2) Changes in ring ownership and bucket properties will converge on all hosts more quickly.

Obviously, increasing the interval will have the opposite effect.  Basho hasn't done any extensive testing with anything but the default interval.

Sean Cribbs <[hidden email]>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/

On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:14 AM, Mårten Gustafson wrote:

I just paged through riak_connect.erl which with my grievously low
understanding of Erlang didn't really enlighten me...

What I'm curious about is simply what can I achieve by
decreasing/increasing the gossip interval?

/mårten.