Deploying riak with custom erlang map reduce functions

Deploying riak with custom erlang map reduce functions

dreverri
I am looking for guidance regarding the best way to package and deploy
a webmachine/riak application.

It has been recommended to develop webmachine apps seperate from riak.
In this case what is the best way to deploy custom map reduce
functions to riak? Is there an easy method to add custom erlang
functions to a riak deployment? Is it best to build a custom riak
release with the custom code included? Is there an easy method for
dynamcally adding erlang functions to a running riak cluster?

Thank you,
Dan

Re: Deploying riak with custom erlang map reduce functions

Ben Browning
Dan,

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Dan Reverri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Is there an easy method for
> dynamcally adding erlang functions to a running riak cluster?

http://gist.github.com/351659

Ben

Re: Deploying riak with custom erlang map reduce functions

Sean Cribbs-2
Dan,

Although what Ben suggests is pretty neat, it's perfectly acceptable and recommended to add an application that contains your map-reduce functions to the release (maybe put it in the overlay directory so you can regenerate as needed).  If you version your application as well, hot-upgrading it should be a snap.

Sean Cribbs <[hidden email]>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/

On Apr 1, 2010, at 7:17 AM, Ben Browning wrote:

> Dan,
>
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Dan Reverri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there an easy method for
>> dynamcally adding erlang functions to a running riak cluster?
>>

> http://gist.github.com/351659
>

> Ben

Re: Deploying riak with custom erlang map reduce functions

Ben Browning
Yes, I forgot to add the disclaimer that I would really only use the
rpc:multicall method during development / debugging and not for actual
production deployment of code.