Cross-Compile Riak for Embedded Device

Darshan Shah
Hi,

I am new to Riak and I would like to know steps to cross compile Riak for Embedded Unit.
From website I found steps to compile with source code but I need steps to cross compile.
It will be appreciated if you can give steps or links from which I can get idea to cross compile.

Thanking in advance,
Darshan Shah

Re: Cross-Compile Riak for Embedded Device

Luke Bakken
Hi Darshan,

Riak's memory requirements don't lend it to use on embedded devices.
Which device are you targeting?

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Riak and I would like to know steps to cross compile Riak for
> Embedded Unit.
> From website I found steps to compile with source code but I need steps to
> cross compile.
> It will be appreciated if you can give steps or links from which I can get
> idea to cross compile.
>
> Thanking in advance,
> Darshan Shah

Re: Cross-Compile Riak for Embedded Device

Darshan Shah

I am targeting arm-arago-gnuabi.
I want to port on ti814x chipset.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017, 11:16 PM Luke Bakken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Darshan,

Riak's memory requirements don't lend it to use on embedded devices.
Which device are you targeting?

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer
[hidden email]

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Riak and I would like to know steps to cross compile Riak for
> Embedded Unit.
> From website I found steps to compile with source code but I need steps to
> cross compile.
> It will be appreciated if you can give steps or links from which I can get
> idea to cross compile.
>
> Thanking in advance,
> Darshan Shah

Re: Cross-Compile Riak for Embedded Device

Stephen Etheridge
Darshan,

I think you are going to be too resource constrained to do anything effective.  We do have a demo set-up of a 5 node Riak cluster running on Raspberry Pis, but they have 1 GB RAM each.

I know there is a board that boots straight to Erlang from Siemens grisp.org - I saw it demo'd at EUC in Stockholm last year, but currently it only has 64MB of RAM.  The designer was talking about the next generation having 1GB RAM but I am not sure when that will be available.

Stephen Etheridge
Solution Architect, Basho EMEA

On 10 February 2017 at 03:55, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am targeting arm-arago-gnuabi.
I want to port on ti814x chipset.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017, 11:16 PM Luke Bakken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Darshan,

Riak's memory requirements don't lend it to use on embedded devices.
Which device are you targeting?

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer
[hidden email]

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Riak and I would like to know steps to cross compile Riak for
> Embedded Unit.
> From website I found steps to compile with source code but I need steps to
> cross compile.
> It will be appreciated if you can give steps or links from which I can get
> idea to cross compile.
>
> Thanking in advance,
> Darshan Shah

{ "name" : "Stephen Etheridge",
   "title" : "Solution Architect, EMEA",
   "Organisation" : "Basho Technologies, Inc",
   "Telephone" : "07814 406662",
   "email" : "mailto:[hidden email]",
   "twitter" : "@datalemming"}

Re: Cross-Compile Riak for Embedded Device

Stephen Etheridge
Darshan,

Perhaps if you gave some more details of what you are trying to do I might be able to help further?

Stephen

On 10 February 2017 at 10:15, Stephen Etheridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Darshan,

I think you are going to be too resource constrained to do anything effective.  We do have a demo set-up of a 5 node Riak cluster running on Raspberry Pis, but they have 1 GB RAM each.

I know there is a board that boots straight to Erlang from Siemens grisp.org - I saw it demo'd at EUC in Stockholm last year, but currently it only has 64MB of RAM.  The designer was talking about the next generation having 1GB RAM but I am not sure when that will be available.

Stephen Etheridge
Solution Architect, Basho EMEA

On 10 February 2017 at 03:55, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am targeting arm-arago-gnuabi.
I want to port on ti814x chipset.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017, 11:16 PM Luke Bakken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Darshan,

Riak's memory requirements don't lend it to use on embedded devices.
Which device are you targeting?

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer
[hidden email]

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Riak and I would like to know steps to cross compile Riak for
> Embedded Unit.
> From website I found steps to compile with source code but I need steps to
> cross compile.
> It will be appreciated if you can give steps or links from which I can get
> idea to cross compile.
>
> Thanking in advance,
> Darshan Shah

{ "name" : "Stephen Etheridge",
   "title" : "Solution Architect, EMEA",
   "Organisation" : "Basho Technologies, Inc",
   "Telephone" : "07814 406662",
   "email" : "mailto:[hidden email]",
   "twitter" : "@datalemming"}

--
{ "name" : "Stephen Etheridge",
   "title" : "Solution Architect, EMEA",
   "Organisation" : "Basho Technologies, Inc",
   "Telephone" : "07814 406662",
   "email" : "mailto:[hidden email]",
   "twitter" : "@datalemming"}

Re: Cross-Compile Riak for Embedded Device

Darshan Shah

Our main usecase is to create a database in Embedded system to store value received from one server.
For our usecase Key value based database is best suitable and we found Riak is one of best for this.
So we want to cross compile Riak databse for Embedded system.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017, 3:46 PM Stephen Etheridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Darshan,

Perhaps if you gave some more details of what you are trying to do I might be able to help further?

Stephen

On 10 February 2017 at 10:15, Stephen Etheridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Darshan,

I think you are going to be too resource constrained to do anything effective.  We do have a demo set-up of a 5 node Riak cluster running on Raspberry Pis, but they have 1 GB RAM each.

I know there is a board that boots straight to Erlang from Siemens grisp.org - I saw it demo'd at EUC in Stockholm last year, but currently it only has 64MB of RAM.  The designer was talking about the next generation having 1GB RAM but I am not sure when that will be available.

Stephen Etheridge
Solution Architect, Basho EMEA

On 10 February 2017 at 03:55, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am targeting arm-arago-gnuabi.
I want to port on ti814x chipset.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017, 11:16 PM Luke Bakken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Darshan,

Riak's memory requirements don't lend it to use on embedded devices.
Which device are you targeting?

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer
[hidden email]

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Riak and I would like to know steps to cross compile Riak for
> Embedded Unit.
> From website I found steps to compile with source code but I need steps to
> cross compile.
> It will be appreciated if you can give steps or links from which I can get
> idea to cross compile.
>
> Thanking in advance,
> Darshan Shah

{ "name" : "Stephen Etheridge",
   "title" : "Solution Architect, EMEA",
   "Organisation" : "Basho Technologies, Inc",
   "Telephone" : "07814 406662",
   "email" : "mailto:[hidden email]",
   "twitter" : "@datalemming"}

--
{ "name" : "Stephen Etheridge",
   "title" : "Solution Architect, EMEA",
   "Organisation" : "Basho Technologies, Inc",
   "Telephone" : "07814 406662",
   "email" : "mailto:[hidden email]",
   "twitter" : "@datalemming"}

Re: Cross-Compile Riak for Embedded Device

Magnus Kessler
On 13 February 2017 at 16:06, Darshan Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

Our main usecase is to create a database in Embedded system to store value received from one server.
For our usecase Key value based database is best suitable and we found Riak is one of best for this.
So we want to cross compile Riak databse for Embedded system.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017, 3:46 PM Stephen Etheridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Darshan,

Perhaps if you gave some more details of what you are trying to do I might be able to help further?

Stephen

Hi Darshan,

If I understand you correctly, your embedded devices will locally store data and will communicate with a central server, but not other peer devices. Riak's strength lies in being a centralised distributed database optimised for dealing with very large data sets. Riak installations typically distribute the data set over a small(-ish) number of nodes to achieve high availability and resilience.

In your use case I expect there to be a large number of embedded devices, each responsible for a small amount of data. This is not a good fit for Riak.

A quick search shows embeddable key-value stores, such as RocksDB [0], unqlite [1], and others (*), which you could use to store data locally in your embedded devices. If you'd like to use Riak on the central server, I'd recommend using one of the Riak client libraries [2] to transfer data between the central server and your devices.

Kind Regards,

Magnus

(*) The quoted embeddable DBs are examples only. I haven't personally used them yet, and can't vouch for their suitability for your project.

--
Magnus Kessler
Client Services Engineer

Registered Office - 8 Lincoln’s Inn Fields London WC2A 3BP Reg 07970431

Re: Cross-Compile Riak for Embedded Device

Stephen Etheridge
Darshan,

Magnus has stolen my thunder and words!  I agree that your use case, as outlined by Magnus above, is not one Riak is aimed at.  In fact, given you want to persist data on an embedded device, are you sure you even want the overhead of a "database"?  There are the options Magnus mentioned above, also you may want to look at:

I have not used either, but they may give you ideas.

In my embedded/IoT work I have not used the embedded device as a persistent store, I have buffered readings on the edge devices but I have then, when a connection is made, sent them to processing hubs.

Kind regards
Stephen