Cannot add node to cluster: ring_creation_size

Cannot add node to cluster: ring_creation_size

Scites, Troy
Hello,

I have 3 nodes in a development environment that were configured in a cluster.  It was working fine until one of the servers crashed.  I tried clearing the data directory and was able to removed the crashed node from the cluster.  When I try to add the third node back in, I get the following error:
Failed: riak@<node> has a different ring_creation_size

All 3 nodes have ring_size set to 64 in the riak.conf.  Has anyone experienced this error and have a suggestion for adding the node back into the ring?

Thanks,
Troy
--
Troy J Scites

Re: Cannot add node to cluster: ring_creation_size

Magnus Kessler
On 8 March 2017 at 19:45, Scites, Troy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have 3 nodes in a development environment that were configured in a cluster.  It was working fine until one of the servers crashed.  I tried clearing the data directory and was able to removed the crashed node from the cluster.  When I try to add the third node back in, I get the following error:
Failed: riak@<node> has a different ring_creation_size

All 3 nodes have ring_size set to 64 in the riak.conf.  Has anyone experienced this error and have a suggestion for adding the node back into the ring?

Thanks,
Troy

Hi Troy,

Please check with 'riak status | egrep "ring_creation_size|ring_num_partitions' what the different nodes believe to be their actual ring size.

As you have already wiped (some of) the data directory on the crashed node, you can stop this node and then it's safe to also remove the 'ring' directory if this node reports a different ring size. Afterwards, restart the node and attempt to join it to the rest of the cluster.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Kind Regards,

Magnus

--
Magnus Kessler
Client Services Engineer

Registered Office - 8 Lincoln’s Inn Fields London WC2A 3BP Reg 07970431

Re: Cannot add node to cluster: ring_creation_size

Scites, Troy
Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the response.  I should have mentioned in my original post that I am using version 1.5.1 of Riak-TS.

I attempted to run “riak status” as you recommended, but “status" does not seem to be an option for the riak command.  I found the “risk config effective” command and all three servers have “ring_size = 64”.  Any further suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Troy
--
Troy J Scites