Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Hi, I just finished setting up the riak installation on a Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit Virtual Machine (VMWare Fusion for Mac OSX). After installing all the dependencies, Erlang and all the things needed, the riak.conf file can be found on /etc/riak. That file can be opened and edited using diakonos which allows to edit as root the file from terminal. I changed the riak node name from nodename = riak@127.0.0.1 to nodename = riak@198.162.0.41 which is my static IP address. As well, I changed the IP for the HTTP internal listener, HTTPs internal listener, and for the buffer protocol as well. When all is saved, I proceed to go sudo on terminal, riak start... And then, it doesn't, checking the riak console it says the following "Can't set long node name". I don't know what else to do, I've tried everything, and as for this time is the cleanest installation I have accomplished :(

PD: Installation was trough apt-get install riak, and riak 2.0.0 version was installed.

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Luke Bakken
Hi,

Please remove the contents of the ring directory before trying to
start this node:

rm -rf /var/lib/riak/ring/*

As a note, if you're installing Riak from apt-get, you do not need to
also install Erlang as Riak ships with the correct version of Erlang
for its own use. I recommend removing the system-wide Erlang as well.

Please let me know if this addresses your issue.
--
Luke Bakken
Engineer / CSE

Ebbinge
Allright, will try to do so. I will let you know asap.

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Hello Luke. Allright, so I completed a clean installation of riak without installing erlang, what I did is that I created a new Virtual Machine and installed riak from apt-get like you said. I edited the /etc/riak/riak.conf file like mentioned before, changing the name to riak@192.168.0.41 which is my static IP, and all the other 3 things that need to be changed. In terminal went sudo -s, then riak start and got the next message from riak console:

root@ubuntu:~# riak start
!!!!
!!!! WARNING: ulimit -n is 1024; 65536 is the recommended minimum.
!!!!
riak failed to start within 15 seconds,
see the output of 'riak console' for more information.
If you want to wait longer, set the environment variable
WAIT_FOR_ERLANG to the number of seconds to wait.
root@ubuntu:~# riak console
config is OK
-config /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/app.2014.10.29.08.54.24.config -args_file /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.08.54.24.args -vm_args /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.08.54.24.args
!!!!
!!!! WARNING: ulimit -n is 1024; 65536 is the recommended minimum.
!!!!
Exec:  /usr/lib/riak/erts-5.10.3/bin/erlexec -boot /usr/lib/riak/releases/2.0.1/riak               -config /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/app.2014.10.29.08.54.24.config -args_file /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.08.54.24.args -vm_args /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.08.54.24.args              -pa /usr/lib/riak/lib/basho-patches -- console
Root: /usr/lib/riak
Erlang R16B02-basho5 (erts-5.10.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [async-threads:64] [kernel-poll:true]

[os_mon] memory supervisor port (memsup): Erlang has closed
[os_mon] cpu supervisor port (cpu_sup): Erlang has closed
{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,riak_api,{{function_clause,[{proplists,get_value,[cacertfile,undefined,undefined],[{file,\"proplists.erl\"},{line,225}]},{riak_api_ssl,options,0,[{file,\"src/riak_api_ssl.erl\"},{line,34}]},{riak_api_web,spec_from_binding,3,[{file,\"src/riak_api_web.erl\"},{line,68}]},{riak_api_web,binding_config,2,[{file,\"src/riak_api_web.erl\"},{line,50}]},{riak_api_sup,'-web_processes/1-lc$^0/1-0-',1,[{file,\"src/riak_api_sup.erl\"},{line,63}]},{riak_api_sup,'-web_processes/1-lc$^0/1-0-',1,[{file,\"src/riak_api_sup.erl\"},{line,64}]},{riak_api_sup,web_processes,1,[{file,\"src/riak_api_sup.erl\"},{line,63}]},{riak_api_sup,init,1,[{file,\"src/riak_api_sup.erl\"},{line,53}]}]},{riak_api_app,start,[normal,[]]}}}"}

Crash dump was written to: /var/log/riak/erl_crash.dump

I am new riak user, so I don't understand what might be wrong :/

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Luke Bakken
Hi,

Can you provide your riak.conf file? It looks as though SSL is
partially configured.

Before your next start attempt, please run the following:

rm -rf /var/lib/riak/ring/*
rm -rf /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/*
rm -rf /var/lib/riak/cluster_meta/*
rm -f /etc/riak/*.config

With regard to the ulimit warning, please be sure to read our
documentation on Linux installation and tuning:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/tuning/open-files-limit/
http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/tuning/linux/

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer / CSE

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Ebbinge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Luke. Allright, so I completed a clean installation of riak without
> installing erlang, what I did is that I created a new Virtual Machine and
> installed riak from apt-get like you said. I edited the /etc/riak/riak.conf
> file like mentioned before, changing the name to riak@192.168.0.41 which is
> my static IP, and all the other 3 things that need to be changed. In
> terminal went sudo -s, then riak start and got the next message from riak
> console:

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Hello, this is the riak.conf

## Where to emit the default log messages (typically at 'info'
## severity):
## off: disabled
## file: the file specified by log.console.file
## console: to standard output (seen when using `riak attach-direct`)
## both: log.console.file and standard out.
##
## Default: file
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - one of: off, file, console, both
log.console = file

## The severity level of the console log, default is 'info'.
##
## Default: info
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - one of: debug, info, notice, warning, error, critical, alert, emergency, none
log.console.level = info

## When 'log.console' is set to 'file' or 'both', the file where
## console messages will be logged.
##
## Default: $(platform_log_dir)/console.log
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a file
log.console.file = $(platform_log_dir)/console.log

## The file where error messages will be logged.
##
## Default: $(platform_log_dir)/error.log
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a file
log.error.file = $(platform_log_dir)/error.log

## When set to 'on', enables log output to syslog.
##
## Default: off
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - on or off
log.syslog = off

## Whether to enable the crash log.
##
## Default: on
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - on or off
log.crash = on

## If the crash log is enabled, the file where its messages will
## be written.
##
## Default: $(platform_log_dir)/crash.log
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a file
log.crash.file = $(platform_log_dir)/crash.log

## Maximum size in bytes of individual messages in the crash log
##
## Default: 64KB
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - a byte size with units, e.g. 10GB
log.crash.maximum_message_size = 64KB

## Maximum size of the crash log in bytes, before it is rotated
##
## Default: 10MB
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - a byte size with units, e.g. 10GB
log.crash.size = 10MB

## The schedule on which to rotate the crash log.  For more
## information see:
## https://github.com/basho/lager/blob/master/README.md#internal-log-rotation
##
## Default: $D0
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - text
log.crash.rotation = $D0

## The number of rotated crash logs to keep. When set to
## 'current', only the current open log file is kept.
##
## Default: 5
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
##   - the text "current"
log.crash.rotation.keep = 5

## Name of the Erlang node
##
## Default: riak@127.0.0.1
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - text
nodename = riak@192.168.0.41

## Cookie for distributed node communication.  All nodes in the
## same cluster should use the same cookie or they will not be able to
## communicate.
##
## Default: riak
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - text
distributed_cookie = riak

## Sets the number of threads in async thread pool, valid range
## is 0-1024. If thread support is available, the default is 64.
## More information at: http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html
##
## Default: 64
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
erlang.async_threads = 64

## The number of concurrent ports/sockets
## Valid range is 1024-134217727
##
## Default: 65536
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
erlang.max_ports = 65536

## Set scheduler forced wakeup interval. All run queues will be
## scanned each Interval milliseconds. While there are sleeping
## schedulers in the system, one scheduler will be woken for each
## non-empty run queue found. An Interval of zero disables this
## feature, which also is the default.
## This feature is a workaround for lengthy executing native code, and
## native code that do not bump reductions properly.
## More information: http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html#+sfwi
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
## erlang.schedulers.force_wakeup_interval = 500

## Enable or disable scheduler compaction of load. By default
## scheduler compaction of load is enabled. When enabled, load
## balancing will strive for a load distribution which causes as many
## scheduler threads as possible to be fully loaded (i.e., not run out
## of work). This is accomplished by migrating load (e.g. runnable
## processes) into a smaller set of schedulers when schedulers
## frequently run out of work. When disabled, the frequency with which
## schedulers run out of work will not be taken into account by the
## load balancing logic.
## More information: http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html#+scl
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - one of: true, false
## erlang.schedulers.compaction_of_load = false

## Enable or disable scheduler utilization balancing of load. By
## default scheduler utilization balancing is disabled and instead
## scheduler compaction of load is enabled which will strive for a
## load distribution which causes as many scheduler threads as
## possible to be fully loaded (i.e., not run out of work). When
## scheduler utilization balancing is enabled the system will instead
## try to balance scheduler utilization between schedulers. That is,
## strive for equal scheduler utilization on all schedulers.
## More information: http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html#+sub
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - one of: true, false
## erlang.schedulers.utilization_balancing = true

## Number of partitions in the cluster (only valid when first
## creating the cluster). Must be a power of 2, minimum 8 and maximum
## 1024.
##
## Default: 64
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
## ring_size = 64

## Number of concurrent node-to-node transfers allowed.
##
## Default: 2
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
## transfer_limit = 2

## Default cert location for https can be overridden
## with the ssl config variable, for example:
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a file
## ssl.certfile = $(platform_etc_dir)/cert.pem

## Default key location for https can be overridden with the ssl
## config variable, for example:
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a file
## ssl.keyfile = $(platform_etc_dir)/key.pem

## Default signing authority location for https can be overridden
## with the ssl config variable, for example:
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a file
## ssl.cacertfile = $(platform_etc_dir)/cacertfile.pem

## DTrace support Do not enable 'dtrace' unless your Erlang/OTP
## runtime is compiled to support DTrace.  DTrace is available in
## R15B01 (supported by the Erlang/OTP official source package) and in
## R14B04 via a custom source repository & branch.
##
## Default: off
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - on or off
dtrace = off

## Platform-specific installation paths (substituted by rebar)
##
## Default: /usr/sbin
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a directory
platform_bin_dir = /usr/sbin

##
## Default: /var/lib/riak
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a directory
platform_data_dir = /var/lib/riak

##
## Default: /etc/riak
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a directory
platform_etc_dir = /etc/riak

##
## Default: /usr/lib/riak/lib
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a directory
platform_lib_dir = /usr/lib/riak/lib

##
## Default: /var/log/riak
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a directory
platform_log_dir = /var/log/riak

## Enable consensus subsystem. Set to 'on' to enable the
## consensus subsystem used for strongly consistent Riak operations.
##
## Default: off
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - on or off
## strong_consistency = on

## listener.http.<name> is an IP address and TCP port that the Riak
## HTTP interface will bind.
##
## Default: 127.0.0.1:8098
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an IP/port pair, e.g. 127.0.0.1:10011
listener.http.internal = 192.168.0.41:8098

## listener.protobuf.<name> is an IP address and TCP port that the Riak
## Protocol Buffers interface will bind.
##
## Default: 127.0.0.1:8087
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an IP/port pair, e.g. 127.0.0.1:10011
listener.protobuf.internal = 192.168.0.41:8087

## The maximum length to which the queue of pending connections
## may grow. If set, it must be an integer > 0. If you anticipate a
## huge number of connections being initialized *simultaneously*, set
## this number higher.
##
## Default: 128
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
## protobuf.backlog = 128

## listener.https.<name> is an IP address and TCP port that the Riak
## HTTPS interface will bind.
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an IP/port pair, e.g. 127.0.0.1:10011
listener.https.internal = 192.168.0.41:8098

## How Riak will repair out-of-sync keys. Some features require
## this to be set to 'active', including search.
## * active: out-of-sync keys will be repaired in the background
## * passive: out-of-sync keys are only repaired on read
## * active-debug: like active, but outputs verbose debugging
## information
##
## Default: active
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - one of: active, passive, active-debug
anti_entropy = active

## Specifies the storage engine used for Riak's key-value data
## and secondary indexes (if supported).
##
## Default: bitcask
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - one of: bitcask, leveldb, memory, multi
storage_backend = bitcask

## Controls which binary representation of a riak value is stored
## on disk.
## * 0: Original erlang:term_to_binary format. Higher space overhead.
## * 1: New format for more compact storage of small values.
##
## Default: 1
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the integer 1
##   - the integer 0
object.format = 1

## Reading or writing objects bigger than this size will write a
## warning in the logs.
##
## Default: 5MB
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - a byte size with units, e.g. 10GB
object.size.warning_threshold = 5MB

## Writing an object bigger than this will send a failure to the
## client.
##
## Default: 50MB
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - a byte size with units, e.g. 10GB
object.size.maximum = 50MB

## Writing an object with more than this number of siblings will
## generate a warning in the logs.
##
## Default: 25
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
object.siblings.warning_threshold = 25

## Writing an object with more than this number of siblings will
## send a failure to the client.
##
## Default: 100
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
object.siblings.maximum = 100

## A path under which bitcask data files will be stored.
##
## Default: $(platform_data_dir)/bitcask
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - the path to a directory
bitcask.data_root = $(platform_data_dir)/bitcask

## Configure how Bitcask writes data to disk.
## erlang: Erlang's built-in file API
## nif: Direct calls to the POSIX C API
## The NIF mode provides higher throughput for certain
## workloads, but has the potential to negatively impact
## the Erlang VM, leading to higher worst-case latencies
## and possible throughput collapse.
##
## Default: erlang
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - one of: erlang, nif
bitcask.io_mode = erlang

## Set to 'off' to disable the admin panel.
##
## Default: off
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - on or off
riak_control = off

## Authentication mode used for access to the admin panel.
##
## Default: off
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - one of: off, userlist
riak_control.auth.mode = off

## If riak control's authentication mode (riak_control.auth.mode)
## is set to 'userlist' then this is the list of usernames and
## passwords for access to the admin panel.
## To create users with given names, add entries of the format:
## riak_control.auth.user.USERNAME.password = PASSWORD
## replacing USERNAME with the desired username and PASSWORD with the
## desired password for that user.
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - text
## riak_control.auth.user.admin.password = pass

## This parameter defines the percentage of total server memory
## to assign to LevelDB. LevelDB will dynamically adjust its internal
## cache sizes to stay within this size.  The memory size can
## alternately be assigned as a byte count via leveldb.maximum_memory
## instead.
##
## Default: 70
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
leveldb.maximum_memory.percent = 70

## To enable Search set this 'on'.
##
## Default: off
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - on or off
search = off

## How long Riak will wait for Solr to start. The start sequence
## will be tried twice. If both attempts timeout, then the Riak node
## will be shutdown. This may need to be increased as more data is
## indexed and Solr takes longer to start. Values lower than 1s will
## be rounded up to the minimum 1s.
##
## Default: 30s
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - a time duration with units, e.g. '10s' for 10 seconds
search.solr.start_timeout = 30s

## The port number which Solr binds to.
## NOTE: Binds on every interface.
##
## Default: 8093
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
search.solr.port = 8093

## The port number which Solr JMX binds to.
## NOTE: Binds on every interface.
##
## Default: 8985
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - an integer
search.solr.jmx_port = 8985

## The options to pass to the Solr JVM.  Non-standard options,
## i.e. -XX, may not be portable across JVM implementations.
## E.g. -XX:+UseCompressedStrings
##
## Default: -d64 -Xms1g -Xmx1g -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+UseCompressedOops
##
## Acceptable values:
##   - text
search.solr.jvm_options = -d64 -Xms1g -Xmx1g -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+UseCompressedOops

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Luke Bakken
Hi,

You have HTTPS configured to use the same port as HTTP. Please comment
out this line using the # character:

listener.https.internal = 192.168.0.41:8098

If you need to use HTTPS, please read the documentation for configuring it:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/advanced/configs/configuration-files/#Security

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer / CSE

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Allright, let me try that out :)

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Hello Luke, I am sorry for some many questions. Commented line for the HTTPS, but, same thing, when trying to start the node it says the following:

riak failed to start within 15 seconds,
see the output of 'riak console' for more information.
If you want to wait longer, set the environment variable
WAIT_FOR_ERLANG to the number of seconds to wait.
root@ubuntu:~# riak console
config is OK
-config /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/app.2014.10.29.17.47.42.config -args_file /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.17.47.42.args -vm_args /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.17.47.42.args
!!!!
!!!! WARNING: ulimit -n is 1024; 65536 is the recommended minimum.
!!!!
Exec:  /usr/lib/riak/erts-5.10.3/bin/erlexec -boot /usr/lib/riak/releases/2.0.1/riak               -config /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/app.2014.10.29.17.47.42.config -args_file /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.17.47.42.args -vm_args /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.17.47.42.args              -pa /usr/lib/riak/lib/basho-patches -- console
Root: /usr/lib/riak
Erlang R16B02-basho5 (erts-5.10.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [async-threads:64] [kernel-poll:true]

[os_mon] memory supervisor port (memsup): Erlang has closed
[os_mon] cpu supervisor port (cpu_sup): Erlang has closed
{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,riak_api,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,\"pb://\\"192.168.0.41\\":8087\",{bad_return_value,{error,eaddrnotavail}}}},{riak_api_app,start,[normal,[]]}}}"}

Ebbinge
Allright, I need to tune up the open files and the system, I'll try that and ask you if I have any questions.

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Luke Bakken

No problem with all the questions - I want to get you up and running.

Your clue is this message:

failed_to_start_child,\"pb://\\"192.168.0.41\\":8087\",{bad_return_value,{error,eaddrnotavail}

There may already be another process listening on port 8087 (perhaps a
beam.smp from another run that didn't exit).

You can use "netstat -pan | fgrep 8087" to see if a process is
listening on port 8087 and kill it before restarting Riak.

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer / CSE

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Ebbinge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Luke, I am sorry for some many questions. Commented line for the HTTPS,
> but, same thing, when trying to start the node it says the following:
>
> riak failed to start within 15 seconds,
> see the output of 'riak console' for more information.
> If you want to wait longer, set the environment variable
> WAIT_FOR_ERLANG to the number of seconds to wait.
> root@ubuntu:~# riak console
> config is OK
> -config /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/app.2014.10.29.17.47.42.config
> -args_file /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.17.47.42.args
> -vm_args /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.17.47.42.args
> !!!!
> !!!! WARNING: ulimit -n is 1024; 65536 is the recommended minimum.
> !!!!
> Exec:  /usr/lib/riak/erts-5.10.3/bin/erlexec -boot
> /usr/lib/riak/releases/2.0.1/riak               -config
> /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/app.2014.10.29.17.47.42.config -args_file
> /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.17.47.42.args -vm_args
> /var/lib/riak/generated.configs/vm.2014.10.29.17.47.42.args              -pa
> /usr/lib/riak/lib/basho-patches -- console
> Root: /usr/lib/riak
> Erlang R16B02-basho5 (erts-5.10.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2]
> [async-threads:64] [kernel-poll:true]
>
> [os_mon] memory supervisor port (memsup): Erlang has closed
> [os_mon] cpu supervisor port (cpu_sup): Erlang has closed
> {"Kernel pid
> terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,riak_api,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,\"pb://\\"192.168.0.41\\":8087\",{bad_return_value,{error,eaddrnotavail}}}},{riak_api_app,start,[normal,[]]}}}"}
>
> Crash dump was written to: /var/log/riak/erl_crash.dump
> Kernel pid terminated (application_controller)
> ({application_start_failure,riak_api,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,"pb://\"192.168.0.41\":8087",{bad_return_value,{error,eaddrnotavail}}}},{riak_ap

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
What you mentioned about the program listening to the port, it's fun cuz if I leave the default conf it runs the node without a problem at 127.0.0.1

I'll try to do that tomorrow, get some rest, I will too. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it :)

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
I think it was the port think, It seems that after a while the port was "set free" haha. Next time I riak start, the node is running on 192.168.0.41 :D

Allright, I think the configuration steps I have them clear and ready to set another!

This is the thing, I am working on a college project, in which I need to set a 3 nodes cluster of a NONSQL database, riak was one of the options because I need to handle replication, and riak does it by itself. I want to set a 3 node cluster and then join them one by one, what is your recommendation on this, speaking about the size of the ring, the n_val configuration and stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Hello Luke, I've been reading some documentation and now I have a greater clue. I want to set a 3-node cluster, according to what I read I have to set the target_n_val = 3 and then, from the app that I have to develop, create buckets with an n_val = 3 as well, so data can be replicated on the 3 nodes. My question is, is there anything else I need to know? Maybe about the hashing function? This is just a college project, the amount of data that is going to be processed is everything but BIG haha.

Thanks in advance :)

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Luke Bakken
Hi,

Actually the Riak defaults will suit you fine for n_val and other
bucket properties. You may want to reduce ring size from 64 to 16
since it'll be a small cluster. If you reduce ring size, you'll want
to execute the "rm" command I provided to clear out data and
configuration, then re-start your nodes and re-build your cluster.

Have fun with your project.
--
Luke Bakken
Engineer / CSE

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Ebbinge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Luke, I've been reading some documentation and now I have a greater
> clue. I want to set a 3-node cluster, according to what I read I have to set
> the target_n_val = 3 and then, from the app that I have to develop, create
> buckets with an n_val = 3 as well, so data can be replicated on the 3 nodes.
> My question is, is there anything else I need to know? Maybe about the
> hashing function? This is just a college project, the amount of data that is
> going to be processed is everything but BIG haha.
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Yup. Done :)

How can I get the info of the ring Luke?
And I have another, so all the replication and fragmentation things, Riak does it by itself?

I am sure, I am gonna have more questions along the project, I am sure, hope you don't mind haha.

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Luke Bakken
> How can I get the info of the ring Luke?

I'm not sure what you mean, but the following setting is how you
configure ring size:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/building/configuration/#Ring-Size

> And I have another, so all the replication and fragmentation things, Riak
> does it by itself?

Yes, please read the following documentation which explains how Riak works:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/theory/concepts/

--
Luke Bakken
Engineer / CSE

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Allright, up and running, I was talking about this command riak-admin status | grep ring which is how the info about the ring is gotten :) But that's done, and it says It has a size of 16.

Thank you so much for your help, If I have any question, I'll use this thread to get to you :)

Re: Can't set long node name. Ubuntu 14.04

Ebbinge
Hello Luke, I've come to have new questions about RIAK. I have the 3-node cluster up and running, I have stored some data in the cluster using a Bucket called "Productos". In that bucket, I have stored java objects of a class "Product", which has the following attributes: ID,Name,Description, Price,Vendor,ImgURL. I have stored them using the "Mybucket".store(Product.ID,Product).execute(); instruction. I've come to the point where I want to apply some madreduce to determine what words are the most used for the description attribute of each product, I've seen examples of mapreduce but they haven't help a lot. Any clue?