Building a native Riak executable

Olivier Rossel
Hi all.

I need to deploy Riak on a Linux server with no Erlang VM.
Is there a procedure to build a native Riak executable on my own Ubuntu
so I can deploy it on this server?
Which Erlang .deb packages are required on my Ubuntu to build this native Riak?

Any help is very welcome.

PS: I am *absolute* newbie in Erlang :)

Re: Building a native Riak executable

OJ Reeves
Hi Olivier,

What I do in this scenario is
  • Build a VM which is running the same operating system as your target server. Let's say you're deploying to a 64-bit Arch Linux machine, that's the exact flavour of OS that you set up on the VM.
  • Install the required version of Erlang.
  • Install all the build tools, git, etc.
  • Download Riak from Github and checkout the version that you're looking to deploy.
At this point you're ready to create a release. Riak comes with a feature-rich makefile that should cover what you're looking for. To generate a self-contained release using rebar, change to the Riak directory and type:

make && make rel

This should pull all the required dependencies down, compile Riak and generate a release for you in a folder called rel/riak. When finished, this folder can be archived (using tar/zip/etc) and copied over to your server. This archive is a self-contained instance of Riak and all the required bits and pieces to run on the target machine. Extract on your server and you can run it directly from there. Bear in mind that you'll probably have to modify settings in etc/app.config to whatever you may need for your environment.

Pardon the high-level/crass response :) I'm no expert, but this has worked for me just fine. I'm sure the more seasoned Riak lads will be able to chime in and correct me if I've said something stupid or if they have a better process.

Hope that helps!
OJ

http://buffered.io/

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Olivier Rossel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I need to deploy Riak on a Linux server with no Erlang VM.
> Is there a procedure to build a native Riak executable on my own Ubuntu
> so I can deploy it on this server?
> Which Erlang .deb packages are required on my Ubuntu to build this native Riak?

Hi, Oliver.  If you just need to deploy Riak, and you don't need to
recompile changes you have made, you can just grab the Ubuntu Riak
package from

http://downloads.basho.com/riak/

That .deb contains its own Erlang system prebuilt and embedded, no
need to install one separately.  See our instructions on our wiki for
next steps:

http://wiki.basho.com/Installing-on-Debian-and-Ubuntu.html

Good Luck,
Bryan